Opinions abound about whether to use marinade or sauces on deer meat and, to be honest, none of them are wrong because everyone’s tastes are different.
Some folks just grill and eat. Some may add salt and pepper. Others may use a dry rub, store-bought marinade or create their own marinade from different ingredients. That’s one of the great things about cooking, right? Everyone’s different and can enjoy whatever they prefer.
Our good friends Rick and Jen with Food for Hunters are no different. Their website offers a great selection of recipes for fish, fowl and game, including venison. Their recipes are simple and detailed so you can follow along easily. Likewise, their super book “Hunting for Food,” which is available in ShopDeerHunting.com, has a slew of recipes, easy directions and great photos to help you make great meals.
Here’s a super recipe for Miso-Glazed Venison Steaks that you can try with any deer meat (or elk, or other game) this season. If your freezer is empty, try this on beef, too.
Miso Glazed Venison Steaks
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time:10-12 minutes
– 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. venison steaks
– 3 tbs. of red wine vinegar
– 2 tbs. of yellow miso paste
– 1 tbs. of packed brown sugar
– 1/8 tsp. of cayenne pepper
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– fresh ground pepper
1. Remove all silver skin and fat from venison.
2. Combine vinegar, miso paste, brown sugar, cayenne pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Stir until you get a smooth paste.
3. Spread paste onto both sides of venison steaks and sprinkle with ground pepper. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
4. While steaks are resting, start the grill and prepare it to medium-high heat. Once grill is hot enough, grill the steaks for roughly 3-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the steaks. Do not overcook the steaks because venison can easily get dry and tough. Cook to medium-rare at most.
Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
Learn how to hunt, process, and cook a wide variety of wild game with Hunting for Food by Jenny Nguyen and Rick Wheatley. Begin with detailed instructions on the best practices for hunting different types of game, including coverage of how to find or attract the game you’re looking to hunt, best times for hunting, and the gear you’ll need to be successful.