Research proves that the licking branch is the No. 1 key to success when hunting a mock scrape, one of the best ways to fire up a big buck and get him interested in seeing what buck has invaded his territory.
The key to that licking branch is preorbital scent. Bucks secrete this scent as a means of distinctly identifying themselves from the competition. It allows deer to understand their rank in the pecking order.
What many hunters don’t realize is that bucks keep tabs on one another by using licking branches, and they do it all year. Why? Before bucks ever scrape the leaves away under a licking branch, before they ever deposit urine on the bare earth, and long before the does come into estrus, the bucks are watching, testing, and paying close attention to one another by depositing scent from their pre-orbital gland to licking branches.
Roland Andrus of Louisiana used Smokey’s during a recent hunt and dropped Smokey McNicholas a note about his success. McNicholas forwarded the email to us, which says:
This is a pic of the buck I shot in Iowa using your Doe in Heat and Rut N Buck. I have used several of the so called lures with absolutely no success. After using your product, there is absolutely nothing better.
By the way, I was hunting in Missouri a few weeks ago and put your product out on a doe decoy (the decoy is a doe laying down). Within 20 minutes a mature 8 point came out of the woods and stayed with the decoy for over an hour. For one hour the buck grunted and pawed the ground like a mad bull…..he also tried to breed the decoy numerous times (while she was laying down I might add….lol)..I wish I would have had my video camera…..
Awesome product….nothing remotely close to it on market…..worth every penny….
Jade Roland Andrus
Real gland lure used as directed can make a difference. The results are proof positive, and when it comes to mock scrapes you’re only getting part of the job done if you’re not using preorbital gland lure. Bucks regularly visit licking branches and become aware when a new rival shows up — the licking branch has the scent of a guy they don’t know. It’s an incredible part of your strategy for attracting and killing big bucks.
“Smokey’s Preorbital Lure is the secret ingredient to my success lately, especially when it comes to identifying more deer on a given piece of hunting land,” said DDH Editor-in-Chief Dan Schmidt. “The key to this product is it is real, 100 percent preorbital secretions from white-tailed deer. Smokey McNicholas is a trapper friend of mine who bottles this lure from real deer. Mock scrapes without this lure are only one-half as effective.”
Here are five great tips to help you create a better mock scrape or freshen existing scrapes with Smokey’s Preorbital Gland Lure:
1. Travel corridor: Find a licking branch in a travel corridor bucks use. Base the location on past observation, old rubs and natural funnels. You can use a licking branch that was used last year, establish a new one or make your own by tying a new branch about five feet off the ground.
2. Licking branch: Before touching anything in the area, put on a pair of rubber gloves. Select a sturdy but flexible branch. Limbs from maple, white oak, ash, beech or poplar produce better results than pine and black cherry. Notice the species used by deer in your area. Don’t use a dead or fragile limb.
3. Application: Mash the tip of the licking branch with a pair of clean pliers. This allows the branch to hold the lure, and exposes the lure to more surfaces so that air currents can pick it up better. Dip the tip of the branch in a bottle of pre-orbital gland lure. Use just a tiny amount.
4. Camera: Set your camera so that it’s not looking into the sun and leave the area without crossing any primary trails.
5. Checking camera: Since this is a low-impact scouting method, don’t check your camera any more frequently than once every week to 10 days. Even if it rains, traces of the lure will stay on the licking branch.
Get this powerful key to making better licking branches now, and for a limited time only you can get a FREE Vero Vellini rifle sling with the purchase of Smokey’s. It’s a super sling you’ll have for years. They’re limited so don’t wait around.
If you’re using Smokey’s Preorbital to freshen up scrapes or mock scrapes, don’t forget to find out the best secrets of hunting the rut and everything about the process. From the pre-rut and why things happen to the post-rut and what is going on with bucks at that time, you’ll gain invaluable insight from top hunters and researchers. Pick up a copy today and you’ll be a better hunter.