Check out this great dish from Stacy Harris, author of Happy Healthy Family, for Venison Con Carne that can be made and frozen for trips or cold winter nights!
“This is a hearty chili with incredible flavor,” Harris said. “One of my favorite things about this dish is that I don’t use ground meat, but chop the venison into 1/4-inch cubes. I also use chipotle peppers in adobe sauce to add depth of flavor in this recipe. If you do not want it spicy hot just remove the seeds before using them.
“It was difficult to make this dish mild while my kids were urging me strongly to add the entire can of chipotle peppers. I hated to blow up our guests with heat! Even if you aren’t having guests, I always make a double or quadruple batch to freeze. This chili freezes great.
“Put the chili in freezer bags, date the bags, and lie flat in the freezer. It tastes just as good three months from now as it does the day you make it. Serve Venison Con Carne with Southern fried cornbread.”
Venison Chili Con Carne Ingredients:
- 1 16-ounce can of tomatoes, diced
- 3 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chili in adobe sauce
- 5 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 4 pounds venison stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 can kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoon oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow corn mix