Stacey Harris, author of the great venison cookbook “Happy Healthy Family,” has yet another easy, fantastic dish to serve up for hungry chow hounds ready for a tasty meal.
Her sandwich combo of venison, roasted peppers and goat cheese – and don’t let that last one throw you off – is simply superb. During a photo shoot a few weeks ago, Harris whipped these up for us in no time and left us wanting more. Here’s what she has to say about these great sandwiches in Happy Healthy Family:
Everyone seems to be on-the-go these days, and while sandwiches are the perfect food for that, this is the sandwich that you really need to pay attention to. A sandwich. A simple, delicious sandwich. Really, does anything more need to be said? I think you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone on Earth who would not enjoy this meal.
Our family loves to devour this sandwich with homemade sweet potato fries while watching Alabama football!
2 yellow bell peppers
1 red bell pepper
1 Vidalia onion
2 lbs. venison loin
2 French baguettes 20 inches long
12 oz. goat cheese
2 oz. Parmesan cheese, shaved
For the Marinade
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1½ tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place peppers in oven for 45 minutes or until skin is charred. Remove from oven and cover until they are cool enough to handle. Remove skin. Slice down the middle and remove seeds and stems. Slice into ½-inch slices.
2. Slice onion in circles. Set aside.
3. Mix oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in medium sized bowl. Add roasted peppers to the mixture for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Salt and pepper venison loin. Over high heat sear all sides for 2 minutes per side or until browned. Place in oven for 5 minutes. Remove and let rest.
5. Slice baguette down the center lengthwise. Spread goat cheese onto the bottom of the baguette.
6. Slice venison thinly and place on top of goat cheese. Place pepper mixture on top of venison. Add onions, arugula, and shaved Parmesan on top. Place top piece of bread on sandwich. Serve immediately. Serves 6
Hint: Use a vegetable peeler to make beautiful, long pieces of Parmesan cheese.