In light of the preliminary Wisconsin deer hunting report issued by James Kroll (read the full report here), message boards are lighting up across in Internet this week.
Here are the Top 10 comments made on websites of the state’s larger news organizations.
1. “Wisconsin hired this guy from Texas to evaluate their CWD problem. I don’t know how this guy from Texas can help them, CWD has been waltzing across Texas for 10 years. seems Dr. Kroll should go back home and take care of CWD in Texas coming in from New Mexico. …just my opinion of course.”
2. “I still can’t believe that our tax dollars are going to this TEXAS DEER FARMER for his opinion on Wisconsin wildlife management – something in which he has NO expertise, and NO credentials.”
3. “About time somebody lays into the DNR and their complete failure at managing the deer herd, especially in the northern third of the state where wolves are a far bigger problem than these doofuses ever care to admit. I’m sure they just sit down there in Madison and think that wolves are a beautiful thing and have absolutely no idea how devastating their influence is. I’ve hunted in Barron and Washburn counties for the last 45 years and have never seen it so hard to find a deer, much less shoot one. Last year, our party of 8-9 people hunted hard every day and no one saw more than 5 deer, with a few of us never even seeing one all season. And to those who might want to still say the numbers are not bad and that we are not good hunters, tell me this – why don’t we even see any tracks? Unless the deer have learned to climb trees, that usually is a good indicator the deer are not there.”
From the Wisconsin State Journal:
4. “The DNR biologists are just another group of dedicated public employees to be vilified for the sake of a few votes for politicians. A politically motivated study at a ridiculous price comes to a politically correct conclusion. Big Deal, big surprise. I would have gladly reviewed the literature for a fraction of the cost and come up with that ‘on command’ conclusion. Some expert!”
5. “This is a perfect example of starting with a set of conclusions and working backwards toward the beginning of the investigation looking for evidence… Walker heard what the hunters were complaining about and found a dude to validate their opinions. We get to pay for this?”
6. “Hey quit worrying: At present rates of decline in hunting interest among teens, all you graying hunters will have a lot more deer per hunter in a few years.”
7. “Also I might say that 55 years ago in Buffalo county when I started hunting if you saw nine or 10 deer in a season you saw alot of deer. Now the hunter want to see 50 deer a day. They are not hunters today they are shooters.”
8. “If Wisconsin hunters thinks that they had a bad deer season 2 years ago why is it that Upper Michigan, Ohio and Missouri all complained about their bad deer hunting.”
From the Green Bay Press Gazette:
9. “Leave it to Walker to have a ‘czar’ in his command. $125,000 for this? I suppose Walker would say he created a job.”
10. “The DNR’s job is to keep the deer herd to a manageable number, not personally ensure that hunters get a deer every year. That’s why it’s called hunting. There is an implication that there is a chance that the hunter will come home with nothing.”
What do you think? Click REPLY below and log in with your opinions.