Few things in the outdoors world — hunting, camping, fishing — garner universal or near-universal praise, acclaim and downright joy in some instances.
I’ve seen a lot of stuff over the years. Some has been great or good, and some has been junk. Even the most enthusiastic, wide-eyed, deep-pocketed and media-savvy company or businessman can pimp a product until they’re blue in the face, but the dollar-spending public is the final arbiter of success or failure.
I don’t believe I’ve ever seen as much acceptance and praise as for the ThermaCELL products. From the first time they hit the market, even many of the initial skeptics were convinced. My light bulb moment came about 10 or so years ago while turkey hunting with a friend of mine in Alabama.
He was set up about 20 yards away watching one side of the woods and I was watching the other. I had a ThermaCELL on the ground between my legs. I literally could see what looked like an impenetrable shield around me. Mosquitoes were bouncing around trying to get through, much like the missiles going against the alien shield in the movie Independence Day.
My buddy finally had to come over and we left. Even with his bug spray, he was getting eaten alive. I don’t go into the woods without my ThermaCELL until the first hard frost is past, and even then I’ve had it with me in some central Alabama hunting blinds in winter. In south Florida two years ago for opening day we had them running nonstop.
The cool thing is you can have some ThermaCELL Lantern units for your home patio, camp, fishing camp or dock or wherever you need one. It’s a cool unit with several features:
- Repels mosquitoes, black flies and other flying insects
- Shields a 15 x 15-foot area
- Easy to use – no candle or open flame
- EPA Registered
- No smelly lotions, sprays, or oils on your skin—comfortable to use
- Convenient: compact, portable, lightweight
- Dual-function: Repels bugs and provides light
- 8 LED lights have “low” and “high” illumination settings; lights operate on 4 AA batteries (not included)
- A butane cartridge (included) heats an insect repellent mat and releases the repellent into the air
The repellent is a synthetic copy of a substance found in chrysanthemum flowers
– Alan Clemons, Managing Editor
Don’t miss another tasty recipe of the month where you’ll find ideas on smoked meat, venison jerky, and so much more. Subscribe to Deer & Deer Hunting for monthly venison recipes, the best big buck stories, complete gear reviews, and exclusive whitetail deer hunting tips. Click here to subscribe and save 68%.