Major changes for deer hunters include increased extra antlerless tags, a new youth antlerless hunt, more controlled season hunt tags and new muzzleloader hunting dates, all of which sound positive for hunters.
The Idaho Fish and Game Commission adopted the 2014 seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, black bear, mountain lion and gray wolf as proposed by Fish and Game biologists. The commission met March 20 to review the proposals and seasons.
The new seasons include an increase in elk controlled hunt and pronghorn tags and expanded wolf hunting and trapping seasons. A summary of major changes include:
Major changes for deer:
- Net increase of 1,076 controlled hunt deer tags.
- Increase general season antlerless season in Units 1, 2, 3, 4A, 5 and 6 by opening antlerless hunt on October 10. This makes the entire season from October 10 through December 1 either-sex.
- Increase extra antlerless tags in Unit 1 from 300 to 350, and in Unit 3 from 50 to 100.
- Shift controlled mule deer buck hunt in Unit 18 one week later.
- Reduce antlerless tags in hunt area 39-1 from 800 to 700.
- Create a new youth extra antlerless hunt in unit 39, east of Blacks Creek Road, and south of the South Fork Boise River.
- Increase controlled archery hunt tags for bucks in Unit 40 from 25 to 50.
- Rotate controlled muzzleloader buck hunt from east side of unit 52 to Units 55, 56 and 57.
- Convert Unit 54 general season archery hunt to unlimited controlled hunt.
- Convert general archery season in Unit 70 to unlimited controlled hunt (either sex August 30-September 30; antlerless October 1-9.)
- Create new muzzleloader only either-sex controlled hunt with 30 tags in Unit 74. Rotate hunt annually among Units 74, 68 and 73A.
- Create a new archery extra antlerless hunt for 35 extra antlerless tags in a portion of Unit 73.
- Increase antlerless and either-sex tags in Units 60, 60A, 61, 62, 66 and 69 from 200 to 500.
- Increase extra antlerless short-range weapon hunt tags from 105 to 200 in hunt area 36AX.
- Add 2 new high quality muzzleloader buck hunts in Units 21A and 30A with 5 tags each November 1-November 30.
For changes to elk, pronghorn, black bear, mountain lion and gray wolves and other details of the 2014 big game hunting seasons, visit http://fishandgame.idaho.gov