Brainerd, Minn. — Some deer hunters had bad luck in the Brainerd area during the weekend
hunting opener — their tree stand caught on fire.
The hunters had shot a deer from the stand, then left their guns in the stand and
went down to clean the deer.
While the hunters were on the ground, the portable heater in the stand apparently
fell over and started the tree stand on fire.
A box of ammunition left in the stand also started exploding.
Firefighters had to walk to the fire with water pump cans and contain it. The tree
stand collapsed to the ground.
No one was hurt.