Anthrax has been discovered in a deer near Uvalde, west of San Antonio, according to the Texas Animal Health Commission.
This is the first case of anthrax to be confirmed this year. Prior cases of anthrax contamination have been determined in Uvalde and nearby areas.
The bacterial disease is caused by bacillus anthraces, which is dormant in the ground until germinated by proper temperatures and moisture. Wild animals and livestock may be affected after eating plants with the bacteria. The TAHC said no domestic livestock are known to be infected at this time.