Our friends at Food for Hunters have what looks like a stupendously easy venison dish to prepare for a weekend hangout with friends and family.
Kebabs are simple, everyone likes them or some variation and if you have someone who’s not into beef or venison then chicken can be substituted. Heck, make some of both. The other great thing with kebabs is you can have super variety with your skewer add-ins: venison, beef, veggies, chicken, marinades or just plain.
Better yet, have a kebab party with bowls of items available for people to make their own skewers. Man the grill, of course, but let them prep their own. If someone wants venison and onions or chicken and cherry tomatoes, fine. Just make sure all the chunks are about the same size so they’ll cook evenly.
Be sure to check out Food For Hunters for photos and more great recipes!
Jamaican Jerk Venison Kebabs
Cooking time: About 40 minutes
– 1/2 cup chopped green onions
– 1 tbs. ground allspice
– 2 tbs. red wine vinegar
– 1 tsp. salt
– 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
– 2 tsp. soy sauce
– 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
– 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
– 2 Serrano peppers, seeded and roughly chopped (or habanero, if you dare)
– 1-1/2 lbs. venison (thick enough for kebabs), cut into 30 cubes
– 1 red bell pepper, cut into 18 pieces
– 2 black-ripe plantains, peeled, and each cut into 9 pieces
– 1 red onion, cut into equal sized pieces as red bell peppers
– olive oil, for brushing
– diagonally cut green onions (optional)
– lime wedges (optional)
1. Combine first 9 ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth (green onions, allspice, vinegar, salt, thyme, soy sauce, cinnamon, nutmeg, peppers).
2. Trim venison, removing as much silver skin and fat as you can. Cut into 30 pieces.
3. In a plastic resealable bag, combine venison cubes, red bell pepper pieces and the blended onion mixture, coat well. Marinate for 20 minutes in the refrigerator. Prepare the grill.
4. After 20 minutes, thread venison, red bell peppers, plantains and red onion pieces onto skewers. (We used metal. Remember to soak wooden skewers beforehand).
5. Brush kebabs with olive oil. Grill for about 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Garnish with chopped green onion and lime wedges.