There’s nothing like a great recipe that can be touched up with a little fresh venison, so it would be hard to argue with this great Venison Burrito Supreme dish!
Stacy Harris, author of Happy Healthy Family, said her family chows down on these burritos just about as quickly as she can get them made! The great thing, too, is with the different ways folks love to make a burrito or taco, it’s easy for the family to pitch in with prep work and then lay out everything for personalized flair.
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 can black beans (16-ounce)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeds removed, minced
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 lbs. venison hindquarter
- 4 flour tortillas (10 inch)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
Ingredients for Tomatillo Sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 Tomatillos, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 heavy cream
- pinch salt
- 1 cup cilantro
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add garlic and red pepper flakes for about 30 seconds. Add beans, bring to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make pico de gallo, combine 2 tbsp. cilantro, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and lime juice in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice hindquarter venison in half horizontally. Pound each half to about 3/4 inches thick. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until skillet is smoking hot. Place venison in skillet for about 4 minutes on the first side, turn and cook the other side for 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 5 minutes.
- For Tomatillo Sauce, saute onion in olive oil. Add tomatillos, chiles, and garlic Saute gently. Add the ingredients to a food processor. Add sour cream and cilantro. Process until smooth. Add whipping cream and pulse until blended.
- Slice steaks thin against grain. Place tortillas on 4 plates and evenly divide rice, beans, venison, and pico de gallo among them. Spoon tomatillo sauce on top. Fold tortillas to form burritos. Sprinkle remaining cilantro leaves on top and serve immediately.
ARE YOU HUNGRY? NEED A GREAT CHRISTMAS GIFT?
One of the hottest cookbooks around right now is Happy Healthy Family by Stacy Harris of Alabama. She’s married to a diehard deer hunting outdoorsman and he, along with their sons, bring in a variety of deer, turkey, waterfowl and fish during the seasons. Harris prepares it all, and in Happy Healthy Family she gives some of her insights about cooking along with fantastic recipes for meats, vegetables and desserts. It’s a great cookbook to have in your kitchen or deer camp, and also makes a fantastic Christmas gift for anyone who enjoys cooking! Buy it here now!