need some help

sbo1971

RE: need some help

Postby sbo1971 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:42 am

Well, I just put my stand up today, I think I have the perfect spot, I am on the side of an old road bed that is covered in grass, there were two fresh sets of tracks there. my stand is 15 ft high, with a clear shot up to 75 yds. There are three trails that converge within 30yds of each other onto the old road bed they are using. I am going to start putting some corn out at the 75 yd spot and then about 20 yds from my stand is the perfect small tree hanging over the road for my mock scrape and scent dripper. I can not wait for Nov 20 to get here.

sbo1971

Postby sbo1971 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Well I de-scented myself as much as possible and checked out my site today. There where fresh tracks entering the old road bed about 35-40 yds from my stand and then went right past the ladder to my stand(within a foot) and out to my parents garden where it proceeded to eat their collards. I created a mock scrape with scent dripper about 30 yds from my stand as that was the only decent place to create one. I have started to see alot of deer activity around here the past couple of weeks when we had that cold spell and I swear I think I heard a doe and or fawn bleeting while I was out there.

Do you guys think that my scrape is too close to my stand and also the only way to get to my stand is to walk up the road old bed coming from the garden, I am afraid that is going to be my undoing, but there are very few good spots to set up.

sbo1971

Postby sbo1971 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Wanted to let everyone know that after 23 yrs of not hunting, I am once again hooked!!! Today was the fourth time in the stand since gun season opened on the 20th, Had one about 20yds away that morning but in some really thick brush, never saw it, just heard it grunt. This Morning I put out some Trails End #307 and within 45 minutes I took my first deer in 23 yrs. Had a really small doe walk out onto the roadbed around 15 yds in front of me, then turn and walk away from me up the roadbed. 50 yds up at the same time another small doe walked out into the roadbed and gave me the perfect broadside shot. She ran about 20 yds and dropped, weighed 100 lbs. Now that I have killed my first deer and have some meat for the freezer, I will be waiting on a nice buck to take my next shot.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:05 pm

I hunt just 30 miles north of Birmingham and I use mock scrapes when bow season opens every year. I have had 2 bucks come looking for does so far but they are young bucks and I have never or do I expect to see a mature buck until at least the second week of December. But I always start at the beginning of season because you never know whats going to walk out, thats what makes hunting so addictive.
If you can find it you can kill it.

BamaHunter

Postby BamaHunter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:34 pm

We have seen 2 mature bucks the past 2 hunts in 3 days.  I think things are about to crank up in Alabama!

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:05 pm

bottom of this forum page is FORUMS RULES AND HELP it will guide you through anything you need

welcome to D&DH

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:06 pm

I wish I could help You out...but I'm a picture posting Dummie,You got a picture to show up and thats better than I have ever done! [&:] [:(]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:34 pm

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

I wish I could help You out...but I'm a picture posting Dummie,You got a picture to show up and thats better than I have ever done! [&:] [:(]

That makes two of us. I've been trying to post a photo of this season's archery kill, and I cannot. I also want to add an avatar and can't. [:o]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:40 am

Woodsie and OldVet53,
Your pictures are probably too big. My avatar is approx 1.36 inches by 1.49 inches. (131 X 143 pixels). If your computer is fairly new, you should have Microsoft Office Picture Manager on it. Right click the picture that you want to use. A menu will appear. Move your pointer down that menu to the selection marked "open with". Another menu will pop up showing all programs that will open that file. Choose Microsoft Office Picture Manager. If that choice doesn't show up, we'll have to go another way. When the pictures opens, click on edit "edit pictures". That menu can be used to CROP the picture to a near square shape. Then go to RESIZE. The program will tell you what the present picture size is. Use "percentage of original width X height" to make the picture smaller. Continue changing size until the picture is about the size I said mine is. I forget what the size limit is on the website for avatars. Give it a try, we'd all like to see Lou's smiling face on each post (you too OldVet53)

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Hey oldvet,

I'm going to try to post your pic resized in this response.  You should be able to right click on it, then choose Save as, then save it somewhere on your computer so that you can upload it as your avatar...

Previous

Return to Alabama