Top 5 Whitetail Books

MG11

Top 5 Whitetail Books

Postby MG11 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Below are my top 5 whitetail hunting books in no particular order. Let me know what you think and create your own list so that fellow hunters can check out some new titles.

1. Strategies For Whitetails by Charles Alsheimer- Great photography and good info
2. Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon- Excellent info on using topo maps to get your buck (or doe)
3. Still-Hunting Trophy Whitetails by Bill Vaznis- The most exciting way to harvest a deer
4. Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails by John + Chris Eberhart- Full of innovative strategies for harvesting pressured deer
5. Bowhunting Forests and Deep Woods by Greg Miller- If you hunt large forests this book can help you
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there. -Fred Bear

SwampLife

Re: Top 5 Whitetail Books

Postby SwampLife » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:03 pm

I just read 'Precision Bowhunting' by Eberhart, since I had already seen his DVD series several times, nothing new there for me. But a good book to reference throughout the year for scouting/hunting strategies.

Books I am about to pick up and have high expectations for:
Taking Trophy Whitetails in the real world - Don Higgins
The philosophy of Big Buck Hunting - Rick DeStefanis
Real World Whitetail Behavior - Jim Roy
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

DairyLandDeerHunter

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:55 pm

SwampLife wrote:I just read 'Precision Bowhunting' by Eberhart, since I had already seen his DVD series several times, nothing new there for me. But a good book to reference throughout the year for scouting/hunting strategies.

Books I am about to pick up and have high expectations for:
Taking Trophy Whitetails in the real world - Don Higgins
The philosophy of Big Buck Hunting - Rick DeStefanis
Real World Whitetail Behavior - Jim Roy

I just bought The Philosophy of Big Buck Hunting. I'll let you know what I think of it. I just finished reading Real World Whitetail Behavior. I really liked it up until the end when he started his "holier than thou" persona. He seems to brag about how great of a hunter he is and how he's shot over 400 whitetailed deer in his life. Good info if you can get past the bravado.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:54 pm

DairyLandDeerHunter wrote:I just finished reading Real World Whitetail Behavior. I really liked it up until the end when he started his "holier than thou" persona. He seems to brag about how great of a hunter he is and how he's shot over 400 whitetailed deer in his life. Good info if you can get past the bravado.

Great, then I can learn something about deer and also how not to act about my hunting accomplishments in the future! :D

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:06 pm

:lol: There is no man so poor, that he can not be a bad example for others!
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

DairyLandDeerHunter

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 am

SwampLife wrote:
DairyLandDeerHunter wrote:I just finished reading Real World Whitetail Behavior. I really liked it up until the end when he started his "holier than thou" persona. He seems to brag about how great of a hunter he is and how he's shot over 400 whitetailed deer in his life. Good info if you can get past the bravado.

Great, then I can learn something about deer and also how not to act about my hunting accomplishments in the future! :D

Haha sounds good SwampLife :lol:

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Any of you guys read 'Advanced Stand-Hunting Strategies' by Steve Bartylla?

Worth it for an 'experienced' tree stand hunter?

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 pm

I've read Bartylla's book. It's been awhile now, and I can't remember anything that really stands out, so take that for what it's worth. :D

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 pm

Greg Miller's books are interesting too. Rub Line Secrets, Aggressive Whitetail Hunting, Proven Whitetail Tactics & Bowhunting Forests & Deep Woods. The other bonus is that he's from WI too, although he doesn't hunt here anymore because he believes that baiting affecting natural deer movement in the state.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Advanced Stand-Hunting Strategies, Steve Bartylla - Yawn. Basic unless you are a novice hunter(in which case this book would be a goldmine). Play the wind, don't overhunt a set, have cover, and cut shooting lanes, got it.

The philoshophy of big buck hunting, Rick DeStanfis - Eh. Good basic info, generally enjoyed the read, just not really any solid take-aways for an 'experienced' hunter already getting consistent chances at mature bucks. Perhaps I am forgetting a good point or two at the moment but then again they must not have been that great if I can't recall them. Go deep, thick or overlooked areas. Camo and scent control. Got it.

Stalking and Still hunting, Bill Vaznis - Loved it. Broke away from the norm. Turned the spark I had for still hunting into a roaring fire. I will implement much of this book into my hunting strategy. This is one of the few books on whitetail hunting I say is a must read. Great, fresh perspective.

Real World Whitetail Behavior, Jim Roy - Shockingly another must read. Tons of great information packed into that little book. I read it about 3 times in a week. Helped to solidify many hunches I had and dispel some myths. Great book.

Whitetails, a research based hunting model, Robert Sheppard - I could not believe what I was reading and only a few chapters into the book it had already catapulted it's way to the best book I have ever read on hunting whitetail deer. This is the deer hunter's bible. You must read this book.

Next

Return to Books/DVDs/Magazines