Top 5 Whitetail Books

DairyLandDeerHunter

Re: Top 5 Whitetail Books

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:11 am

SwampLife wrote:Advanced Stand-Hunting Strategies, Steve Bartylla - Yawn. Basic unless you are a novice hunter(in which case this book would be a goldmine). Play the wind, don't overhunt a set, have cover, and cut shooting lanes, got it.

The philoshophy of big buck hunting, Rick DeStanfis - Eh. Good basic info, generally enjoyed the read, just not really any solid take-aways for an 'experienced' hunter already getting consistent chances at mature bucks. Perhaps I am forgetting a good point or two at the moment but then again they must not have been that great if I can't recall them. Go deep, thick or overlooked areas. Camo and scent control. Got it.

Stalking and Still hunting, Bill Vaznis - Loved it. Broke away from the norm. Turned the spark I had for still hunting into a roaring fire. I will implement much of this book into my hunting strategy. This is one of the few books on whitetail hunting I say is a must read. Great, fresh perspective.

Real World Whitetail Behavior, Jim Roy - Shockingly another must read. Tons of great information packed into that little book. I read it about 3 times in a week. Helped to solidify many hunches I had and dispel some myths. Great book.

Whitetails, a research based hunting model, Robert Sheppard - I could not believe what I was reading and only a few chapters into the book it had already catapulted it's way to the best book I have ever read on hunting whitetail deer. This is the deer hunter's bible. You must read this book.

Liked your reviews SwampLife. I just finished The Philosophy of Big Buck Hunting this weekend as well, and like you, didn't come away with anything I didn't already know. Definitely didn't have that X-factor.

I'm glad you liked Real World Whitetail Behavior, it will definitely be a book that I will read over again, and refer back to.

I'm going to pick up a copy of Whitetails: A Researched Based Hunting Model, and after seeing your review, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Previous

Return to Books/DVDs/Magazines