Growing and Hunting Quality Bucks By Tom Indrebo

Goose

Growing and Hunting Quality Bucks By Tom Indrebo

Postby Goose » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:45 am

I just finished reading this book and I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn some interesting observations and manage their land for better deer and hunting.
If you don't know who Tom Indrebo is its worth finding out! He owns and operates Bluff Country Outfitters in Buffalo County WI. Probably one of the top outfitters in the nation.
The copyright in the book is 2008 so it is fairly new. I picked it up at their booth while at the Deer Expo in Madison earlier this month.
The book is well written and can be used by all deer hunters who are interested in either managing their land for whitetails or how to use their land to hunt whitetails.
Some of the things I found interesting where his very detailed notes and records that show many details in the lives of most deer taken on his land or the land he operates. His record keeping has shed some light on what a deer does and how and why it does it. Its neat to see what you can gather from all the data collected over the years.
His scouting camera use and tips will make you take another look at flash cameras and how deer react to them.
He also has some great chapters on how to manage your forest, food plots, and watering holes.
Another neat concept of the book was his month to month plan in action part where he describes why and what he does month to month throughout the year.

Overall this is a very informative book that is worth a read for all serious hunters. It's a great opportunity to crawl into the mind of one of America's top deer authorities. I learned stuff throughout the book and gained some insight into the world of whitetails.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

RE: Growing and Hunting Quality Bucks By Tom Indrebo

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:51 am

Sounds like a winner Goose, I'll definitely get a copy

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi Goose,
Sounds like an interesting book. Does it have any info that a non land owner can benefit from?

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:43 pm

MSHunter stole one of my questions.  My other is, is it a very technical read or is it an easier read?

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:22 am

I think you would learn from it is a non landowner. It also focuses on deer behavior. For example they had a buck nicknamed Moses (it was in most mags) that they followed for several years and were able to learn some interesting things in how a buck reacts to different things and also shed some light on their behavior.
It definitely involves land management but I think its worth the read if you don't own land. This is written by one of the top outfitters in the nation and his knowledge of deer and their behavior shows on the pages of his book.
I think it is a very good read not complicated at all and it isn't science overload like some others.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:27 am

Jake

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 am

Goose, thanks for the info on the book.....what did he say about flash cameras and their affect on big bucks? 
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:26 am

He puts them out in July and leaves them out till after shedding season. He says that the flash does not bother them and that most of the time the bucks will come closer to the camera after the first shot. It sounds like he uses alot of them and checks them frequently. He puts together a "yearbook" style record of the pics and has individual files for each deer.
He gets alot of pics so I think he knows what he is talking about....
He also would rather have a better picture (color) at night then the black and whites.
Jake

bucktale

Postby bucktale » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Goose, just got the book at a book store and read it 1 day. Excellent book! Got a lot of good ideas out of it. Would recommend it to anyone thats interested in deer, hunting, food plots and camera scouting. Thanks for putting me on to this book. Thinking of getting some of his DVD's.

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Have read the book, includes a 60 minute DVD. Well done. Don't forget to give Pat Durkin some credit, he is a very good writer and has articles appearing regularily in "Outdoor Wisconsin" and also the "Green Bay Press Gazette". Google his name and you can read more of his writings. He used to be associated with Deer and Deer Hunting.

Next

Return to Books/DVDs/Magazines