D&DH TV - Season 4 Review

Patriot

D&DH TV - Season 4 Review

Postby Patriot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:43 am

I see JPH has a thread going about this topic.  My intention here is to provide a brief episode by episode review (what I liked, what I learned, what could make it even better, etc).  Please add to my reviews.

I may not go in order, but plan to cover each episode eventually.

I took the laptop to Subway today and was able to watch Episode 3.  Here goes....

Episode 3 - Why Deer Don't Move: 
What I liked:
[ul][*]Great videography!  I really enjoy the educational aspect of the show....which is why I enjoy it so much.  Any kills are just part of the show and not the focus.  Charlie Alsheimer kills a nice doe which is part of herd management.[/ul]
What I learned;
[ul][*]Deer are more spooky in heavy fog (no pun intended)
[*]Check trail cams every 2 weeks or so[/ul]
What could be improved:
[ul][*]I see the same bucks over and over, week after week.  I'm sure some of these are from Charlie's enclosure. 
[*]During Charlie's hunt, he does some whispering to the camera.  Subtitles would have been nice since I couldn't make out what he is saying.[/ul]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Patriot

RE: D&DH TV - Season 4 Review

Postby Patriot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:56 am

Episode 10 - Change on the fly or lose: 
What I liked:
[ul][*]The land structure that is hunted on during this episode is very similar to where I hunt (flat, windy, not many trees).  I learned some things on how to hunt it better (utilize blinds).
[*]Educational as always[/ul]
What I learned:
[ul][*]They mentioned putting up blinds and then hunting them right away.  I thought I had to leave them out for several weeks prior to hunting them.  Anyone else have feedback on that?
[*]Early season light rain situations are very good for hunting since it cools the deer.[/ul]
What could be improved:
[ul][*]The folks mention utilizing 5-6 trail cams to monitor the deer in your area.  This assumes Joe Hunter has money for that (which I don't). 
[*]The episode seems to bounce around and goes off topic at times. (ie. the topic is changing your hunting strategy based on weather / pressure, etc.....but then there is a good chunk of time spent on rub analysis).[/ul]

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:05 am

Episode 4 - You can't stockpile bucks

Liked:
Sets realistic expectations regarding bucks on your property.  You may only have one or (maybe) two 140 inch deer in the area. 

Really cool sequence of rattling a buck in.  The buck ducked the arrow at 26 yards.  Neat video breakdown of the shot and buck reaction.

Could improve:
The topic was stockpiling bucks, but a good chunk of time was spent talking about if deer have memory.  That had nothing to do with the main topic.

Learned:
I knew bucks disperse at 1.5 years, but this episode mentions they disperse again at 2.5 years. 

Deer eat fungus / lichens.

Bucks cover 600-1,000 acres during most of the year, but increase that to 4,000+ acres during the rut.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:13 am

Episode 5 - Rut Predictions

This was my favorite episode so far!

Liked:
Findings were based on data and not just gut feel. 
VERY EDUCATIONAL on all phases of the rut.

Could Improve:
I would have liked to have seen more on what tactics to use to hunt each phase of the rut (decoys, rattling, calling, etc.)

Learned:
Alsheimer states that the moon phase is not as important as shortening day length, but is still a factor.  Many of us focus (debate) so much on the moon phase part that we forget the day length piece of the equation.

Does may only move 50-100 per day during the breeding phase.

Antlers are the fastest growing living tissue known to man....typically 1/2 inch per day during the growing phase.

Alsheimer clarified that the chase phase (2-3 days after full moon to 7-10 days after the full moon) is the best phase to hunt.  Prior to this, I hadn't been sure if the seeking or chasing phase was best.

Return to Books/DVDs/Magazines