Old Videos

Wanderer

Old Videos

Postby Wanderer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:09 am

The weather has been kinda lousy the last week or so here in NE Indiana, so I had to find something new to entertain myself. I went to the local library and took out some old hunting videos. Most of the videos that we have in our library were produced between 1989 and 1993, but there's still some good information there. I just finished watching a half hour tape on deer body language. Good stuff for new and old hunters. In addition to timeless hunting information, you can listen to Jackie Bushman praise his "new" Tre-Bark  bibs that he bought at WalMart. In the bowhunting video, they talked about 225  fps arrow speeds. Kinda gives you an appreciation for all the advancements we've seen since the 1990's.
I do believe that I learned, or at least re-learned, a few things from each tape. It doesn't cost anything other than the trip to the library, and you might just learn something that you can use some day.

passin through

RE: Old Videos

Postby passin through » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:35 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes those things!  I kinda have started a collection of bow hunting videos and some of the old ones are quite funny looking back on them.  Things have changed a lot in 20 years!
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Do you guys think older stuff (not too old) might be more beneficial (educational) than the stuff today, with all this monster buck obsession? I like learning about the animal a lot more than a show focusing on killing monster bucks, yeah it's cool to see, but i like learning, that's juts me tho! I know we have advanced a lot in the last 15-20 years, both equipment wise, and understanding the animal wise ,but to me, it might seem like the stuff from the mid 90's and what not might be focused more on info on the animal themselves, and like Wanderer said it's always good to learn and re learn the simple things we tend to forget, i hope that post made sense, im sleepy lol!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:15 am

Demoderby4,
Two of the tapes that I just watched recently were about calling deer. There were some "hunts" to show how effective the calling was, but the kills didn't dominate the tape. Another "bow hunting" tape gave some very good advice on bowhunting in general and had a lot of slow motion shots showing arrow deflection at the moment of release. I believe that part of the footage came from Easton. The same tape also covered paper tuning arrows as well. All 3 of these videos were made by Buckmasters. I think they still have a lot of good information in them. Another Buckmasters video I just watched recently dealt with deer body language. They did some superimposing of when to take the shot and what the vitals looked like at the moment the shot was taken. It's nowhere near as well done as D&DH TV does now with shot placement but, hey, this was done 15 years ago. For those of us who used to make our own camo by buying army surplus OD pants and coloring them with brown and black shoe polish, Jackies Tre-Bark bibs looked pretty high tech.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:08 am

Wanderer

Thanks for the info, thats cool the shows were more about the technique and strategies, i wish MORE shows were like that today!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

John1961

Postby John1961 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Hey Wanderer, how close are ya to Woodburn? 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:21 am

Mapquest says 86 miles. Add 10 from my house to Rochester.

Return to Books/DVDs/Magazines