whitetail advantage

fasteddie

RE: whitetail advantage

Postby fasteddie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:16 am

Something I had never heard before and surprised me was the fact that twin fawns can come from different fathers . This was proven by taking DNA samples from the deer . The amazing discoveries of Scientific Research ............

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:30 pm

I am 4 chapters through this book, and must say it is very informing and gives good research to back up what is said. It is easy to read, has great illustrations, and is thick but everything is summed up in a few pages which make it easier for someone to understand without overloading information as some books do. Overall I will rank this book up with the others have read, and would recommend it to anyone!
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:43 am

I agree, it's a good book. 

Particularly for someone new to deer hunting who wants a one stop resource for most of their questions.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:30 am

Finally finished it.

Good read.

I too would put it on the must read list for deer hunters.

Lots of information, explanations etc.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:32 am

I'm about 3/4 of the way thorugh it and WOW!  Really puts all the missing pieces and puzzling deer behavior, into perspective!  I particularly liked the Hunter Q&A at the end of each chapter...I asked some fo the very same questions, so it was nice to see it all laid out..the chapter on scent and deer movement were by far the most informative and comprehensive I've read on the subject.  This is a definite MUST READ for anyone new to the sport and I'm quite certain even those of you who aren't quite new learned a thing or two as well.  I was particularly happy to see some of his research came from managed areas in the Northeast, specifically Maryland and Maine...helps us Yanks out ;)  We all know you Texas and Midwest boys grow'em much bigger!!!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:56 am

I think that this was one of the better hunting books I have read. I just finished it up! I was shocked at how hooked I got on this book. I would rather read it than sit around and do other things. This book has a lot of good info in it. I would recommend it to all of you.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Here is an excerpt of my review of Whitetail Advantage on my blog Wired To Hunt:

Content: Whitetail Advantage was written by two of the nation's top deer biologists, Dr. Dave Samuel and Robert Zaiglin, so the entire book is written from a biology stand point. The authors took a look at many of the most debated aspects of deer behavior and hunting tactics and then used sound wildlife research to back up their advice and observations. Topics covered included scraping and rubbing behavior, deer's sense of smell, rattling studies, deer home ranges and many more interesting pieces. What I liked best was that all the information or opinion presented, was backed up by studies done across the country to gain insight into deer behavior. Observation is one thing, but getting insight from carefully planned research studies takes learning to a new level.

Presentation: Whitetail Advantage is a nice paper back book, with glossy pages and easy to read text. Many nice color pictures are included, although almost all seem to be of deer that look to be from Texas. Otherwise, it's a good looking and well put together book. My book in fact was stuffed into my hunting fanny pack many times, and survived all the wear and tear and rain I could throw at it!

Value: Whitetail Advantage is currently priced at $16.49 online and that seems to be a fair price in my opinion. This is really a unique book, in it's focus on offering deer hunting advice based on studied behaviors. It's hard to find this kind of information in any other place, so it definitely has a place on my book shelf. In my opinion, Whitetail Advantage is a good value for a unique and insightful deer hunting book and a great read for any hunter looking to take it to the next level and understand deer behavior like never before.
Interested in reading this book or want to pick one up as a Christmas present for another hunter? Click here to purchase a copy of Whitetail Advantage.
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:33 am

I finished reading this book a few weeks back and have be re-reading certain chapters.  I agree it is one of the best books I have read on deer.

Previous

Return to Books/DVDs/Magazines