Book: Hunting Pressured Whitetails

SteveH2112

Book: Hunting Pressured Whitetails

Postby SteveH2112 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 am

Hi guys,
I'm pretty new to the forum as a poster, but have been around for a while. While being on several forums I discovered a trend. Many successful deer hunters did almost the exact same things to harvest deer. I decided to write a book and use successful hunter's stories as testimonial as how to be more successful. I wrote this book more for a beginner deer hunter than someone well versed. I hope for more informed hunters the stories of successful hunters will be entertaining to read.
I hope a few people take a look. Here's a link to it.

Thanks Steve

http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Whitet ... 765&sr=1-6

SteveH2112

RE: Hunting Pressured Whitetails

Postby SteveH2112 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Here's a little taste from the book

I recently received a great story about a farmland hunt from Bradley Benner of Felton, Pennsylvania. It’s obvious he’s a very proud parent with good reason to be.

This story does not end with me harvesting a deer, but one of my greatest hunts, because it was my daughters’ first hunt.

It was the first day of early muzzleloader season of the ’08-’09 year. My daughter had never hunted any wild life until this day. We were hunting a small farm in the Linglestown, Pennsylvania area. This farm is owned by a good friend of ours and is opened to any one that asks permission.

We were hunting in an abandoned horse stable looking into the old fenced in horse pasture where the land owner had told us she had deer coming in every evening prior to dark.

After about 45 minutes we saw two antlerless deer come in to the field just outside of the fenced in area and they walked straight up the fence and in behind the house. As I was explaining to my daughter this is how it goes, just when you think you know what they are going to do they change their ways. I told her to be patient maybe they will come back down or there may be others that come out where the owner had been seeing them.

About that time I hear someone yell at us from the house, when we look up to the house the land owner was telling us the deer were standing in her flower bed and wanted us to sneak around and shoot them. I told her that I did not feel comfortable doing that being this was my daughter’s first time hunting. She insisted that we sneak around and shoot one. I told her we will sneak up to an area where they may come back into the field and wait.

As we started out of the stable I noticed them heading towards the field and heading in our direction. I told my daughter to get on her belly and crawl up behind that tree that was about 20 yards in front of us. We made it to the tree without the deer seeing us, but just as we go there I think they noticed us.

I told my daughter to get the cross hairs just behind the front shoulder. She said, “I am there. Should I shoot?” “No,” I said. “Your muzzle is lined up with a tree that was right at the end of the gun.”

We waited for at least 10 minutes and had a stare down with the lead doe. I was thinking that there was no way my daughter was going to be able to pull the trigger after staring at those big eyes for that long. (It was also what my wife kept saying, “She won’t shoot a deer once she sees it.”)

Just then the doe started to move. I started to watch my daughter as she very gently squeezed the trigger and by the reaction of the deer I knew that she hit it. We waited a couple of minutes and started over to where the deer was when she shot. There was a little blood. I could see the deer lying in the field but she couldn’t and I wanted her to experience the thrill of following the blood trail.

After following the blood for about 20 yards she saw the deer. What happened then left me speechless. She was so excited she gave me one of the biggest hugs I have ever gotten in my life.

It was the perfect text book shot, right behind the front shoulder and took it straight through the heart. That, to this day is the greatest hunt I have ever been on. I am looking forward to the ’11-’12 year as my son will be ready to hunt.

This hunt goes to show that a hunter can be successful in a situation where they share a property with others. In this case the land owner had filled Brad in with info about where the deer were traveling. Instead of walking all over the property he took his daughter to the spot without creating a bunch of scent and possibly bumping the deer his daughter was after.

The other and more common outcome is that hunters begin in an area and move about regardless of other stands looking for deer traffic. This creates more scent spread around over the course of time and the likelihood that deer will pass through the property instead of staying at home.
In many cases at least during the bow season a hunter can avoid some of the pressure by hunting during the week or planning hunts before weather changes when others might not be out.

Return to Books/DVDs/Magazines