Dan's Question of the Week: Bow Poundage

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: Bow Poundage

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:00 am

How much poundage do you shoot? Have you increased or lowered your poundage since you began bow-hunting, and do you think that 5# either way makes much of a difference in your personal hunting applications?
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

fasteddie

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Bow Poundage

Postby fasteddie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:33 am

I have a Parker Phoenix EZ Draw set at 70# that I was shooting for 3 - 4 years . No problem with the poundage or the draw weight . I won a Pearson TX-4 set at 60# that I have hunted with for the past few years . The only reason I shoot less poundage is because it was set that way when I won the bow . I havn't seen any significant difference between shooting the two .
Semper Fi !

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:07 am

I draw 70 lbs. right now and have for several years. I've been up and down the poundage scale for many reasons. I'll spare you the boring details but leave it at this. 70 lbs seems to be the optimal draw weight given my current physical ability, bow, arrow and broadhead combination.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:31 am

I draw 66#'s now and will be up to 70 by Sept. Its my understanding that a bow shoots best at its maximum draw weight.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:57 am

Haven't heard that one before Goose. I shoot a 10 year old Reflex Express and I'm not sure of the let off. Last year I increased the draw weight to 70#, which is my bow's max (I was shooting about mid 60's) and I didn't see much of a difference. I think because it can get pretty cold in Ohio, not to mention keeping movement to a minimal, I'm going to stay in the mid 60's. Switching to a carbon arrow has given me increased speed from a FPS perspective.
I want to be able to draw back my bow, sitting down or without much movement in the event I need to.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:07 pm

When I shot a compound I was at 65#, and that was with 50% let off.

With the recurve that I hunt with I draw 55#, and that is plenty for me. I want my shoulders to last as long as possible.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:15 pm

shoot 70Lbs, have for 16 years now...hope i can for a least ten more....just comfortable for me,

I don't think it would matter if i dropped down 10lbs since i only shoot broadside animals at pretty close range...under 40 yards but would have to adjust my setup and i really haven't only owned two bows in all that time a jennings( which i don't think is in buisness anymore) and a mathews...

I am sentimental - though my wife would not agree...

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:19 pm

I shoot 80 pounds . I like shooting the heavier arrows and still have 1 pin performance out to 35 yards .

I had to turn it down to 75 last year because of health and lost about 5 yards off of my first pin . After some hard work it is set at 80 again and I am ready for this fall .
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:34 pm

apparently I need to hit the weight room. ha

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:24 am

The nice thing about the new bows is that you get all the speed you need at 60# so why would I want to shoot any more.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features