Dan's Question of the Week: Bow Poundage

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
kykevin

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Bow Poundage

Postby kykevin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:18 am

My bow is setup at 64 pounds. I have never had any issues with it. Pass-thru shots at 40 yards are no problem for me so I am happy with the weight.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:14 am

I'll use anything from 45-55 on deer. recurves and longbows. no problems gettin a passthru [;)]
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:12 am

For close to 20years I had shot 65 to 67#s and that had more then enough penetration and good flight with my arrow combonation. I backed off to 60# last season because I had shoulder surgery a handfull of years ago and it was starting to get harder to hold 67#s.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:31 am

I had my bow checked at a local pro shop and he said it was set at 73 pounds which is maxed out. Next time I buy a bow I am going to move to 80 pounds so I can shoot a faster arrow which will produce more energy downrange. Not to mention a flatter trajectory which should make shooting accurate easier. I am a fairly big guy at 6'1" and go about 220 pounds. I have worked out my whole life lifting weights so 80 pounds is pretty easy for me to pull and hold.
Andy

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:50 pm

I shoot 55# because that is where I'm comfortable. I do need to practice more though. I only take 20 yard shot's. I should practice more and at longer ranges. Then I could crank my bow to 60#. More practice would make me stronger, not lifting weights. This would serve a few purposes like: making my bow quieter because it would be at it maximum draw weight (your question to Goose) because the limbs are tighter, and maybe, just maybe I'd be confident out to thirty or even 40 yards. 

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:43 pm

I wouldn't get to caught up in all the hype,some guys like to brag on their draw weight,yet most of those guys are drawing modern single cam bows-with 80% let off...take an older model bow with 65 % let off and your pulling and holding more weight.-For example if your shooting 80% let off [90%most bows now] with 70lb draw weight your holding 14lbs at fulldraw take the same guy give him 65% let off bow with only 59 lb draw weight and he's holding 20.65 lbs at full draw--guy #2 is holding 6lbs more at full draw-If im correct also 80% let off is Ineligable for boon and crocket....why would you want to draw more than needed to kill a deer?

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:00 pm

My Diamond Rock is set at 54 pounds. I was shooting it at 60 but I had difficulty drawing from a sitting position. It killed the last deer I pointed it at just fine...he went 70 yards and tipped over.

shreeenergy

Postby shreeenergy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 pm

apparently I need to hit the weight room. ha
==========
split muscle breast augmentation
best breast augmentation

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features