Dan's Question of the Week: Bow Poundage

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
JPH

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Bow Poundage

Postby JPH » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:47 am

ORIGINAL: MoDeer

I shoot 80 pounds . I like shooting the heavier arrows and still have 1 pin performance out to 35 yards .

I had to turn it down to 75 last year because of health and lost about 5 yards off of my first pin . After some hard work it is set at 80 again and I am ready for this fall .

I didn't know they made bows with 80 lb. draw weights. Are they hard to find?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:06 am

I started out 45 # recurve...then went to a 48 # compound and shoot 51#'s now....I have pass thru's and last year at 20yrds had a shoulder shot that went thru both shoulders and nearly thru the hide on the opposite side...I like to be able to draw and if need be hold that draw should the deer stop to soon or behind a tree...ect with out getting the shakes and having to let down.

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:16 am

JPH
Most bow manufacurers offer some bows in 80 pounds but bow shops do not stock them . Anytime I am in the market for a new bow I do an internet search to see what is offered in 80 pound . Then I go to the bow shop and shoot the 70 pound version that is in stock . When I find what I like I special order my bow in 80 pound .
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:57 am

I am at 60 pounds this year and I could go higher but I don't feel I need to.
Scott

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:24 am

ORIGINAL: MoDeer

JPH
Most bow manufacurers offer some bows in 80 pounds but bow shops do not stock them . Anytime I am in the market for a new bow I do an internet search to see what is offered in 80 pound . Then I go to the bow shop and shoot the 70 pound version that is in stock . When I find what I like I special order my bow in 80 pound .

Oh thanks.

If you don't mind my asking, are you a big guy? Have you ever had issues in your back/neck/shoulders? Do you shoot a lot?

I'm just curious. I don't mean to pry.

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:42 am

I was a big guy when I first started shooting 80 pounds , 5'11" 185 lbs and not much gut . 20 years ago I would shoot for an hour or two each day , but now I settle for 25-30 shots a day .

I do have bursitis in both shoulders but with a little exercise it is not a problem .

The key to shooting that kind of weight is to use proper form . Always start the draw with your uper back and then let your shoulders and arms take over from there .
Johnny

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:04 am

What % let off are you guys using?...and doesn't the B&C have rules on shooting deer with certain % let offs?...Not a defensive ? I don't know

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:56 am

I think B&C and P&Y have rules about let off but I am not sure what the rules are .

I think my bow has 75% let off but again I am not sure . That is not something I look at when purchasing a bow . I am more interested in how smooth , how quite , how fast , and how forgiving a bow is .
Johnny

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:27 am

I shoot 70lbs.  I am accurate out to 60 yards.  Beyond that I will not take the shot at an animal.  I shot an antelope in WY last August at 57 yards and got a pass through on a doe at 58 yards in my home state.  I do have a 60 yard pin and practice at that range more than at 20.  The long range shots make the closer range ones a chip shot.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:17 am

I shot 56-62 lbs most of my career. Over time, I increased the poundage, because I was shooting a bow with greater let-off.  In the early days, with a 20% let-off, 5 lbs made a huge difference. 

One thing I always stressed with myself was the ability to draw slowly and smoothly and hold for a fairly long interval before releasing.  With that sort of regimen, a 5 lb difference in draw weight made a lot of difference.  I might only get 5 arrows off in a practice session, but each one would take 5 minutes to loose.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features