Will th rest of the media follow Field and Stream ?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
bmorris

Will th rest of the media follow Field and Stream ?

Postby bmorris » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Activated Carbon and Scent Control

This has to be one of the most important stories in hunting history and all outdoor magazines and advertising should be reporting on it.. If carbon clothing makers are sued in 10 different states and the first reporting comes two years later and after the Court has issued a permenant injunction there has to be a reason why there have been no reporting. If someone can recall any program that has reported I would to know when it ran.
Read the article in Field and Stream and share your reaction. The article just didn't go far enough and the failure to address the court findings are very revealing. When you are making a $ 100 million dollars for a product that has been to revealed not to work as advertised is simply amazing.

bmorris

RE: Will th rest of the media follow Field and Stream ?

Postby bmorris » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Will Deer and Deer Hunting start covering and publish the court Findings ? A few years ago they gave Scentlok a whole program to promote their product. Now the courts have issued a permerant injunction against Scentlok , Gander Mountain , and Cabela's.
Now on July 15,2010 Scentlok is asking the court to unseal all their testing and settlement agreements by Scent Blocker but at the same time to keep their depositions and testing sealed
Isn't it time that all media that represent hunters start providing coverage ?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:27 pm

This ia a good question, and one that many of us are waiting to see the answer to. It will say a lot about credibility.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:00 pm

I would welcome any coverage of this issue. However, my question is this: How and where should this be covered? My question relates to whether D&DH, or any other magazine, is equipped for anything more than simply reporting that the lawsuits have commenced and what the verdicts are. Does the type of staffing D&DH has lend itself to "investigative journalism"? Maybe not.

I haven't read the F&S article yet, but it seems to me that other magazines following that lead might not be a good idea if they're not geared to that type of reporting. Whether other magazines follow F&S is a good question, but if they don't it isn't necessarily wrong.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:09 pm

ORIGINAL: bmorris

Read the article in Field and Stream and share your reaction.

Is there a link?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:25 pm

Sorry.
It's in he August 2010 issue on the news stands By Scott Bestul

Field and Stream Magazine

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:38 am

ORIGINAL: bmorris

Sorry.
It's in he August 2010 issue on the news stands By Scott Bestul

Field and Stream Magazine

Here's a link, but I don't know if it's the same thing that was in the print edition:
Bestul: Injunction Forces Scent-Lok to Change Advertising Claims (July 9)

Steve

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:03 am

Will Deer and Deer Hunting start covering and publish the court Findings ?

Dear Bob,

As we have already reported, Scent-Lok did have a judgment placed against them for misleading advertising for using the phrase "odor-elimination."

There really has been nothing else to report. As for the technology of activated carbon, we again will let the users make up their own minds. I personally do not believe that any serious whitetail hunter who has used activated carbon over the past 15 years honestly believed they were completely eliminating their human scent by wearing activated carbon clothing. That's just my opinion.

Thank you for joining our open forums. I hope to see more of your posts on deer-related topics.

My best regards,
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 am

Dan: Is D&DH still going to print advertising from them that claims that it eliminates scent?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:30 am

Hi Lou,

No, we won't print such ads moving forward.

Be aware, however, that current issues do contain an ad that, in small print, uses the term "odor-eliminating technology." One such ad is in the September-dated issue of D&DH. That magazine, however, was put together nearly two months ago. The October issue has also already been produced. That (production schedules) is where magazines differ from other media outlets like newspapers, etc.

Best,
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features