Dan's Question of the Week: Faith in D&DH

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: Faith in D&DH

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:40 am

In his article "Great Sport, Horrible God" in the August issue of D&DH, Zeke Pipher discusses his thoughts on deer hunting and the First Commandment. We have received several letters for the next issue's "Readers Recoil" section. Some have praised the article, while others have criticized it. What are your thoughts?
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Marc Anthony

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Faith in D&DH

Postby Marc Anthony » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:01 am

Great article!

It's an eye opener for all of us to keep things in perspective. Men of faith need to be reminded who's really in charge. Too much of anything is overindulgence, including hunting (I thought I would never say that). Putting too much emphasis in anything is worshiping a false God.

D&DH was taking a risk in posting that article. Good for you for having the guts to go through with it. Sometimes we speak and print things that need to be said that don't necessarily have the most popular views, I know as I have had to cross that line before. In the long run, respect will be earned.

That was one article that stayed with me for weeks and still does!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:41 am

Initially I was somewhat surprised that D&DH would publish an article that was so strongly of a religious leaning. I enjoyed it as I always enjoy articles by Zeke, and the more I thought about it the more I appreciated the fact that it appeared in the mag. My thoughts are basically these:
1) In this country, each of us has the freedom to express ourselves on any subject we choose, including religion. Others do not have to agree with us, nor do they have to even read such an article if they are in disagreement with it or if they find it not to their liking. I admire D&DH for having the courage to print Zeke's thoughts.
2) While reading that article I immediately knew that D&DH would receive a lot of response, many saying things such as 'this is a Deer Hunting magazine and should not contain material of a strongly religious nature'. However, I expect there will be lots of responses in favor of Zeke's piece. Who cannot sit in the deer woods and not thank some supreme being for the wonders of nature and the opportunity to be a part of it?
I don't think this is something that should become a major topic. Zeke is a dedicated deer hunter but he is also a religious pastor and he can't be expected to completely separate those two things.
To all I would simply say, if you want to read the article, do so. If you are offended by the religious nature of it, then move on to another page. No big deal either way. Personally, I found myself agreeing with Zeke and I enjoyed his piece and continue to look forward to his future contributions.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:59 am

I've seen the buzz about the article here, but that issue fell into the gap where I had let my subscription lapse so I missed it. It sounds like something right up my alley. Is there any way I can find it online?

berudd

Postby berudd » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:42 am

As I did not read the article I can't make any specific comments. However, what I can say is that I seek out and purchase publications like D&DH because I want to read about deer hunting. I support the right that everyone has to religious freedom but I have no interest in reading religious based articles in a deer hunting publication. I would seek out religious publications if that is what I was looking for.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 am

I thought the article was absolutely fantastic!  Way to go D&DH!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:54 am

I like to see all views, even those I may not agree with. I certainly had nothing negative to say about this article, other than that I was a bit surprised to see it in D&DH. Certainly a different twist.

Now Dan, how about REALLY surprising us and having an article about bowhunting with traditional tackle and/or maybe STILLHUNTING/STALKING! Be still my beating heart![:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:01 pm

Im sure almost every one of us in this D&DH forum can relate to Zeke in somesort.... I mean look at us, year round on this forum talking about different subjects pertaining to deer hunting... We spend thousands of $$$ every year getting ready for the season!!! Plots,seeds, fertalizers,gas, cloths, shooting houses, guns, bows,Etc and of course D&DH magazine... When you put so much into one thing, how can you not become hypnotized in it. Is it any different then a football,Baseball,soccer,or olimpic player, getting hurt early on,and have to sit out the rest of the season, and feeling what Zeke had felt.. Zeke if you ever find yourself in that predicament again,, come down to Florida... You can have 1buck a day from Dec thru middle Feb lolol

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:03 am

Woods Walker: You just might be surprised with Patrick Meitin's article in the September issue we are currently working hard to get to your mailbox. [:D]
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:50 am

Now I won't be able to sleep for the next month!!!!! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next