Dan's Question of the Week: Faith in D&DH

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
retiredsailor

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Faith in D&DH

Postby retiredsailor » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:21 pm

berudd...Suggest you read the article in question then offer your opinion. It isn't a purely "religious" piece; rather it is one man's way of tying together two important factors in his life - his religion as it intertwines with his passion for deer hunting. He did a good job of making his point (in my opinion). Frankly, there are good number of articles that appear in D&DH with which I disagree, and often I find selected items that I question, but I don't get terribly hung up on them. (I remember reading one article some years ago wherein the author was talking about how wet it was due to a heavy rain the night before, then he started talking about "hearing deer walking through the woods.") Now I admit that I don't have the best hearing to be found, but I have never heard a deer walking through wet leaves, perhaps others have. My point here is that I seriously doubt that anyone, including the editors of D&DH, expect all readers to completely embrace every word that appears on their pages. While I eagerly anticipate the arrival of each new edition of D&DH, I view it as simply another source of information and ideas. I do not, however, view it as total gospel (pardon the pun).
ORIGINAL: berudd

As I did not read the article I can't make any specific comments. However, what I can say is that I seek out and purchase publications like D&DH because I want to read about deer hunting. I support the right that everyone has to religious freedom but I have no interest in reading religious based articles in a deer hunting publication. I would seek out religious publications if that is what I was looking for.

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:55 pm

It is a great article !

I am not a religious man and it was still a great read . It never hurts to be reminded that there are other important aspects of life that should not be put on hold just because of deer season . After having read the article I will at least make an effort to think about family , friends , and work , while I am deer hunting this year :)
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 am

I agree with Mark Anthony's post . I would suggest that when it come time to "pay the Pipher" , that you don't do it with any more wine ! [:D]..[:D]
Semper Fi !

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:57 am

It was a great article and I hope to see more of them.
Its kind of sad when a person has to tip-toe around expressing their faith in America.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 am

Loved the article....Not surprising since seeing where it came from and where it is posted.  Keep up the great work D/DH!
QDM!

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:55 pm

I think it was a great article. I read it out loud to my wife and kids and we talked about it over dinner. It was a great reminder and lead to a great conversation around the dinner table. You know, it doesn't pertain to just deer hunting. It pertains to many things in life that we put ahead of other important priorities. My wife and kids got it too... they understood it! One thing me and my family try to do, and this article talked about it, we try to keep God as the center of our lives.

I just want to thank D&DH for allowing these type articles to be printed. I am not afraid to let my kids read this magazine. It is kid safe! Anyway, we shouldn't ignore the blessing bestowed on us as a people and a nation. For me, God is the central, most important part of my life, even more so than my wife and kids (and they know this and I hope the same for them) so I am thrilled to have read this article in a magazine that so many people will also see. I truely hope it sparks something positive in someone's life or makes them take inventory of their priorities.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:43 am

Well I finally read it. Better late than never. I'll keep my remarks simple and to the point.

Hands down, the single best deer hunting article I have ever read.

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 am

I thought it was a great article. We will always have people on both sides of the fence on just about any topic we discuss, isn't that what makes america great that we all don't have to agree.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

bobow

Postby bobow » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:32 pm

[font="verdana"][size="1"]I thought it was an excellent article.

Keep things in perspective.
[/size][/font]
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Chugbug

Postby Chugbug » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:33 am

This article is well written and a great reminder to us all.  I feel that I have been guilty of the same thing before with both hunting and fishing.  I also applaud both the writer and the D&DH for having the courage to share this with us all.  Nice job!

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features