Dan's Question of the Week: Rubs & Scrapes

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: Rubs & Scrapes

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:27 am

I know these tactics vary based on region, but tell me which you prefer to hunt: rub lines or scrape lines (or, where lacking, one primary scrape). Which have you found most successful?
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

bowboxer

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Rubs & Scrapes

Postby bowboxer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:38 am

i live in south east and i find hunting rubs will give you more deer siting.i have tried scapes but not one deer have i seen.maybe i not hunting them right time or something.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:55 am

Most of my stand locations are governed by terrain features, but I get more excited by scrapes than rubs.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:54 am

I hunted a rub line last year and saw 2 different mature bucks in that spot.  I've hunted over a couple of scrapes before and have never had much success in seeing deer.  My adrenaline gets going when I find a huge rub shredded to pieces.
Scott

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:18 am

I am with JPH.  I focus more on funnels than rubs or scrapes.  However, I have one tree that I call the "killing' tree and it is a great funnel surrounded by telephone pole size rubs and major scrapes.  If I had to hunt only a rubline or scrapes I think I would have to base it off the size of the trees being rubbed.  If the rubs were at least 3-4" in diameter I would hunt the rub line. 
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:34 am

I also agree with hunting the landscape. If I had to choose, I would hunt a rub-line over a scrape. I have had more luck sitting by a rub or rub-line than sitting over a scrape or a scrape-line with older deer.
It seems as though the more I hunt and pay attention to the landscape, rubs and scrapes become less important.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:07 am

Another vote for landscape vs. rub lines or scrapes.  However, I will say when you do find the right terrain layout and there is a rub line and some scrapes in the same area, then you should have a real hot spot!

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm

I agree with the terrain comment. I also try to hunt wooded food sources such as white oaks for the acorn harvest. Mainly trails and funnels rather than rubs or scrapes.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:02 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Most of my stand locations are governed by terrain features, but I get more excited by scrapes than rubs.

What he said. The only thing I'd add is that seeing DOES does more for me than rubs or scrapes. All rubs and scrapes tell you is that bucks WERE there. DOES mean that eventually the bucks WILL BE there. A single estrous "hot" doe is the best buck "sign" there is, and I go out of my way to hunt were she's passed by or where she went.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:22 pm

By the time I get out, bucks have abandoned their rub and scrape lines. Nevertheless, I find both sign posts interesting and can indicate if a large buck had been frequenting the area.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features