The truth about Broadheads

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
nuideas1

The truth about Broadheads

Postby nuideas1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:36 am

Fellow bowhunters, I would consider myself a seasoned bowhunter with 15 seasons behind me and have taken many deer with a bow. Last years total was 12 bow kills( I feed many families with the meat)and they were all taken with fixed blade 100 grain broadheads of good quality. It seems like all the rage now is mechanicals of ALL shapes, sizes and configurations. So here is my question for others who have used both. What's the point? I have used 4 different bows through the years and after a bit of simple tuning can always get my arrows to fly very accurately(2.5" or less group out to 35 yds). I have never experianced a failure of a quality broadhead and almost always have complete pass through of the animal. I have even tried some bargain brands and they do well most of the time. In turn I have heard countless stories of failures of mechanicals. Reports vary from failed O rings, rusty blades sticking, poor penetration, blades not opening or opening partially, and the list goes on. To me it seems counter productive with all the variables in bow hunting to  lessen your odds of success with another one. I welcome comments from all who have used both.
 I am not sold on the idea although my LAS has tried.

double_lung

RE: The truth about Broadheads

Postby double_lung » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:48 am

I to have asked this same question. Have yet to get a decisive answer other then everybody is trying it. I shoot muzzy, it has proven for me time and time again. Will I ever shoot mechanical, maybe, will I run out and buy a set now, no. What I do works, I know how it flies and I know how to tune it. Like I always say KEEP IT SIMPLE!!

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:51 am

Seems to me that you have a set up that is working as it is. Are you looking to switch or something?

CONLEY14

Postby CONLEY14 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:17 am

I HAVE USED THUNDERHEAD 125GR. BROADHEADS MY WHOLE LIFE AND I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE OUT OF THEM SO I'M NOT GONNA CHANGE ANY TIME SOON AND IF I DID TRY SOMETHING ELSE IT WOULDN'T BE MECHANICALS.  

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:54 am

I have been shooting the Rage II mechanicals for 3 years with no problem . They work for me so I will stick with them . I couldn't care less what blade someone else shoots as it's a matter of personal preference .If somrthing works for you , stick with it . [:D]
Semper Fi !

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:38 am

I've used both. I agree that mechanicals add an element of failure to the set up, and I can't argue that simple is better. However, I think reliability is a consideration, and if you can find a reliable mechanical, I don't personally take issue with it. I used fixed blades exclusively for the first few years I hunted. Then I tried the Rage 2 blades, and after as many successful shots and no failures between myself and my two brothers, the reliability has proven itself to me that I will continue to use them. Sure, I'll give the simplicity point to the fixed blades, but I love the extra cutting diameter I get with the Rage. I shoot as perfect as I can, but there have been a few shots where that extra bit of cutting has helped. Like we all say over and over, it's about personal preference and whatever you're confident with. I'm confident with the right fixed or mechanical, but give the edge to my preference of mechanical because of the extra cutting capability, as well as not having to worry about planing that some fixed blades experience in flight.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:41 pm

I've never shot mechanicals and agree that my set up is good enough with my 100 grain fixed muzzys. I'd never encourage shooting a deer with a field point as we all know how important a quick ethical kill is and know the role the razors play in that quick kill, however you could use a fieldpoint if you double lunged the deer with the group your shooting.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:19 pm

I shoot the Rage 2 blades and I love em, they have worked rather well for me in the past. I still say if Im shooting a fixed its a G5 and if Im shooting a mechanical it's a Rage. I just enjoy shooting what works for me.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:29 pm

I have used both fixed and mechanical. Ive never lost a deer to a mechanical, lost 2 with fixed. One was a muzzy and one was a thunderhead.

Do you shoot a compound bow with moving parts when you could use a simpler long bow?
Do you use a drop-away rest when you could use a simpler stationary rest or shelf?
Do you use a mechanical release when you could use your reliable fingers?

Is it fair to say that because all of this stuff is mechanical, there should be no good reason to use them?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

nuideas1

Postby nuideas1 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:48 am

I appreciate all the candid comments. I am not really looking to change but I just hear a LOT of hype about mechanicals and wanted to get down to the real meat of the issue with experianced hunters who have used them.
 As far as the flip side from Goose I do agree you have some good points but at least some of the more advanced or mechanical systems increase your odds by far. One for example being a compound bow over a long bow. You can shoot farther, faster, harder hitting, and over all an exceptional improvement over a wide range of scenarios. Add in reliability(never had a compound bow failure) to that and you have a case for one over the other for those who choose that option . It seems by the comments from mechanical users that they don't offer a huge advantage over fixed blade. 

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features