Dan's Question of the Week: Crossbows

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: Crossbows

Postby Dan Schmidt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:13 am

Hi guys, thanks for all the great responses and insights on the Texas hunting question. I've posted a reply at the end of that thread with my thoughts.

I'm posting next week's question today, because I won't have access to the Internet for the first part of the week.

QUESTION: Do you think able-bodied hunters should be able to use crossbows during regular archery seasons?
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Dan Salmon

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Crossbows

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:01 am

Yes.

A crossbow is an older design than compound bows, why shouldn't we allow their use?  If someone wants to claim that archery should be more difficult, then I say we need to not permit compound bows or recurve bows either.  Same goes with muzzleloader hunting, no optical sights or inline actions.

retiredsailor

RE: Dan's Question of the Week:

Postby retiredsailor » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:05 am

Personally, I don't have a problem with anyone using a crossbow. While
I'm not particularly interested in using one myself, I view the crossbow
as just another weapon to be used in the ethical pursuit of game. I understand
that presently some states have no restrictions on the use of crossbows,
while others require a certified medical waiver, and some prohibit it
entirely. I would guess that eventually, most states will have some
provision for allowing use of a crossbow, and many will charge an
extra "license" fee to do so.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:47 am

Where it is currently legal? Yes.

Where it is not currently legal (aka Iowa and Missouri where I hunt)? No.

Special crossbow seasons? Yes, but not as a replacement for vertigo bows.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:36 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Where it is currently legal? Yes.

Where it is not currently legal (aka Iowa and Missouri where I hunt)? No.

Special crossbow seasons? Yes, but not as a replacement for vertigo bows.

Come on JPH, you can do better than that! :)  Of course if it's legal then people should have the right to use them, and vice versa.  Let's hear your insights!

Anyways, I've always been against using crossbows unless it's for a special hunt (disabled person, etc).  I know we've gone around and around on this in another thread, and I'm sure this will bring some great discussion, but I feel that a crossbow is quite the step above a compound.  I know I'll get the response, 'Well, if you feel that way then compounds should be illegal and just traditional bows should be used...' 

On another note, I feel that we should all be banning together to get out there and hunt as often and with as many weapons as possible, as long as it's ethical....But, I'm still not on the crossbow side yet and prob. never will be.  Just my opinion. 
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 am

Yeah Rian, I know I held back a little.

I am all for expanding seasons and hunting opportunities. I have no issue with them setting up a separate season for crossbow hunters, even if it overlaps with some of the vertical bow season.

What I would rather not see is a movement toward flooding the woods with hunters during the bow season as it is now. One of the things that attracts me to bow season is that it is quiet and unpressurized. I am afraid that liberalized crossbow laws would lead to hunters who have avoided bow season up to now because they were unwilling or unable to develop the needed skills.

If Iowa started to explore the legalization of crossbow use by able bodied hunters during archery season, I would not go to any great lengths to stop it, but I sure would not be one of the proponents either.    

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 am

I have no problem with a cross bow as long as there is a season for one. I think the cross bow should not be included into the bow season as it gives an unfair advantage. Seasons are based on the ease of kill and the resulting days allowed are directly related to that. I'll use Illinois as an example: We have a 7 day gun season (for either sex) and a 3 month season for bows. Since a crossbow is much easier to use and should have a higher kill rate, I think there should be a separate season for them ( and a much shorter season at that).
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:19 am

I don't see a problem with crossbows being used during archery season. To say you have an advantage over verticle bows... I tend to disagree with that thinking based on my personal experience. Having hunted both compound bow and crossbow and have missed shots using both, it is MUCH easier to nock a new arrow in a compound bow than a crossbow.  Unfortunately, more than once I have had to nock arrows in my compound bow, but I was never busted doing it and have killed deer with the second shot.  However, I have missed (over-shot) a deer twice last season using a Ten Point Crossbow because I miscaluclated the distance. Both times I got busted by the deer. The reason is there is much more body movement required to load a bolt and retract the string. I mean it requires more strength to draw that crossbow string back, using obvious movement in your arms, torso and back. No easy task in a tree. Plus there is a slight clicking noise as the string locks into place. Basically it is a one shot - one kill opportunity when hunting with a crossbow.

Once advantage crossbow does have is that you can probably get an opportunity to shoot a deer with it at maybe 20 yards further than you would a compound bow.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:39 am

ORIGINAL: Ifishandhunt

To say you have an advantage over verticle bows... I tend to disagree with that thinking based on my personal experience.  Unfortunately, more than once I have had to nock arrows in my compound bow, but I was never busted doing it and have killed deer with the second shot.  

Drawing down on a deer is where most (if not all) of the trouble starts with a bow. I would guess 90% of failed bow hunts begin with the deer seeing movement from the hunter drawing down. Yes, there are many missed shots but assuming there are just as many with a cross bow, I won't include that into the theory. Once a bow is drawn, it's a cake walk from that point on, as long as the deer offers a reasonable shot. Knocking an arrow is something that should be done way before a deer even gets into sight, so I don't see that argument. Once a bow is drawn, if the deer doesn't present itself for a good shot, the bow hunter's arm will get tired thus leaving him to back draw, make a bad shot or just release the arrow. With a cross bow, you have the same advantage as a gun, except for the range. Lets face it, if it were no difference than a bow, all of the states would allow it. Of course, this is just my opinion!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:49 am

I'm in line with JPH.

I have no problem with a medical waiver, senior citizen, or even a young hunter (under 15 maybe?) using crossbows during the archery season.
Beyond that, no thanks, and where it is already legal, let it be.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features