Dan's Question of the Week: Minerals

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: Minerals

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:38 am

Just curious as to how many of you utilize mineral licks on your hunting properties. If so, how many do you have going and which commercial products (if any) are you using?
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

JPH

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Minerals

Postby JPH » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:42 am

I did use them but have since stopped due to concerns about disease transmission.  

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:58 am

We used to use them here in Southwestern Wisconsin but since CWD came along we aren't allowed to use them anymore.  I have never understood why a farmer can put a salt block out for his cattle in a pasture when deer can use that but we can't put out salt blocks or mineral blocks for deer.
Scott

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:32 pm

I am with the above . Ever since they came out with data that deer could contract CWD by eating at the same confined source , I thought it would bae a bad idea .
Semper Fi !

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:40 am

I have mixed results using "Deer Cocaine". In SW Pennsylvania, where I live, the soils is pretty good and there are many and varied food sources among the farms and woodlots common to the area (not to mention suburban yards and gardens). Every time I've tried the minerals here, they tend to be ignored. Up north, where my camp is, the land is mostly unbroken old growth forest. When I spread minerals up there, the deer destroy them, to the point of digging a hole in the ground. I've sweetened the same spots for several years in a row there, and some of the holes the deer have created are over a foot deep. So, I think that minerals work better in places where they provide deer with nutrition that would otherwise be hard to come by, but in nutrient rich places, minerals would be less effective.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:27 am

Illegal in Illinois also.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:56 am

I have used two products. I used WhiteTail Imperial 30-06. I had great success with it!! I changed this year and put out out WhiteTail Imperial 30-06, had a friend check it from the UP. He said one site was hit while the other had not been hit yet, however he said there were deer tracks around and in it.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:27 pm

I have three mineral sites established that are all being hit hard. I'm using Whitetail Institutes 30-06. The deer in my area had to endure a very tough winter with record snowfalls which kept at least 36" of snow on the ground for a solid month. In early spring scouting camera pictures you could count the ribs on numerous deer. I felt the minerals would help turn the health of the deer around a little quicker.
Dave M.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:31 pm

We just buy a couple molasses blocks and salt blocks from the local feed store. Hang them in a potato bag that's suspended up in the air. You wouldn't think so, but the weather (rain and wind) will breakdown the block and it creates an excellent attractant on the ground below the blocks. While i'm not sure if this would mitgate the spread of CWD, CHD and other whitetail specific diseases, it does eliminate the deer from licking the block. It's likely that they lick the same area of the ground, where the block drops down to when it gets wet, but I hope that spreads fewer germs than licking the ground.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:07 pm

I use the trophy rock rather then a salt block or deer cocane.
I also use vitarack 26, Both of these have minnerals healthy for deer.
And are a good attractent.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features