Dan's Question of the Week: Minerals

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
retiredsailor

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Minerals

Postby retiredsailor » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Have not put out anything this year - at least on our hunting property.

Since I live in a mountain sub-division, with no hunting allowed, we have a rather large herd of deer that lives here with us (or, perhaps I should say that we live here with them - they were here first.) I generally put out a block of salt at the far back side of my property and the local deer frequently stop by and lick or nibble on the salt - yes, often several at a time.

Am reminded of an event that happened many years ago. Had an old bag of rock salt that we had been using to make home-made ice cream. Since the bag had been opened for a good while and was starting to clump up, I decided I'd just dump it on our hunting property so the deer could work on it. During that spring gobbler season, I took the rock salt along one day and just randomly picked out an old rotting stump and dumped the entire bag over it. Almost forgot about it until 4 or 5 months later when bow season open. Walking back to our camp one day, I remembered the rock salt and thought I'd take a look. Man! was I surprised. Not only was the salt gone, but the stump itself no longer existed, and there was about a 6 inch hole in the ground where the stump had been. I guess over the course of the summer, the rain had desolved the salt and it had soaked down into the rotten stump, but that didn't stop the deer. They had actually completely chewed up the dead wood in the stump and even dug out or ate the soil were the desolved salt would have been.

It is my understanding that deer can usually satisfy their salt requirement from their normal forage and browsing, but if there is a centralized salt source available, they will take advantage of it, and I believe they hit the mineral sources (including salt) hardest during the spring and summer months, when nursing young or growing antlers.

Certainly one very resourceful creature.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:16 pm

We used to have two per property.  Each property is about 80 acres.  With the outbreak of disease here in WI, even though I'm not in the CWD zone, we have since stopped.  Does anyone in WI know if this is still legal as long as you stay within a certain amount per a certain area of property?  I thought it was so many gallons per 40 acres in the non-CWD zone. 
QDM!

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Mineral product's are loaded with salt and if you can't figure out a place to put a stand without an attractant you may as well hunt with Hank Parker. Attractant's are sooo weak. If you need some type of attractant why not plant fruit trees in the middle of your property and then figure it out.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:07 am

I use 30-06 Plus Protein at our three sites on our 977 acre Alabama lease. The deer have dug out petty good sized holes over the years. These sites are for the deer's benefit and there has never been any hunting over them. We use them as trail camera sites to monitor approximate deer population, how many pregnant does, when did the fawns drop,etc. I so far have restrained from setting up sites at my home place in Indiana, because state law requires removal not only of the minerals,but all affected soil from the site 10 days before hunting the area. I have no idea what constitutes hunting in the state's mind. If I put a mineral lick on my northwest corner, and I'm hunting a half mile away on the southern boundary, am I in violation of the law? Until I get clarification, I'll just refrain from using 30-06. I can, however, put out mineral blocks for my horses.  

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:56 am

I have been using imperial 30-06 with protein mineral mix for a about 3 yrs now. The first year they hit it hard the next year was sporadic and this last year they were hitting it pretty hard again. I am however looking at switching and using a mineral mix that a local guy mixes himself. He only sells it in bulk but the people that have been buying it have had really good success. I also never hunt over the mineral sites, I try to place them close to the bedding areas were the deer feel safe and I have trail cam pics of deer using the sites at all hrs of the day. My plan is to hollow an older stump poor the mineral mix directly into it. I have been told the deer will end up chewing/digging the stump right into ground. It also keeps the mineral mix above the snow pack so the deer especially the pregnant does can have access to the minerals in the winter time when food sources are scarce. This should in theory help with fawn development and overall health.

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:24 pm

In Illinois, you used to be able to put out supplement. Not anymore. When it was legal, it had to be removed, I think 10 or 20 day's before the season. It could not be anywhere on the property you were hunting, even if you had 1000 acres. To be removed, it had to be dug up or made completely unavailable to the Deer. I know this for a fact because I got a ticket and was not allowed to hunt for 10 days and also had, I think 3 points assessed my hunting priveledges. If you have a question or doubt, just call. They knew where all my piles were and I did not put out anything for 20 months before I got busted. I keep records. (now I have one) Do not try to be sneaky either, I believe they use dog's to locate the supplement.

UPLAND

Postby UPLAND » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:42 am

I've been maintaining a number of mineral sites for years, here in Ohio. I probably tried about 90% of the products out there. They all seemed to work to some extent. The best seems to be a mix my buddy's been makin for a few years now. The deer dig up some pretty big holes where i put this stuff. Its called Antler Alchemy. I think he's got it on ebay. I just picked up a couple bags from him. I guess now is the time to get those mineral sites set up.

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:52 am

[size="2"]I used salt blocks during the summer. But I stopped, because it brought in the hogs!

[/size]

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:50 pm

A few years ago I put out some deer cocoaine and the deer seemed to really go to it. The instructions said not to put in on or near a trail and I'm glad that I didn't. They made a 4' x 4' hole there over time which is filled with water . Never really saw a deer at the site though. Only did it that year.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features