Great Sport, Horrible God

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Gulfcapt

RE: Great Sport, Horrible God

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:10 am

Ben its in the July issue! I read the article its nothing like it sounds like lol Zeke just telling how obsessed he was with hunting and when the season was finally over with he feel into a state of self pitty if you will, and how a god could have such sport/animal to make a person secum to that.. Thats the way I read into it anyways great article tho
ORIGINAL: Bob Olsen

Marc, are you married to J Lo ? Just kiddin. Can you tell me where I can find the article by Rev. Zeke ? I need to have peace of mind because the title kind of bothers me and so many people say it's a good article.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:48 am

Marc, are you married to J Lo ? Just kiddin. Can you tell me where I can find the article by Rev. Zeke ? I need to have peace of mind because the title kind of bothers me and so many people say it's a good article.

Bob, No. I'm not married to J Lo. LOL If I were, I'm not sure she would let me hunt!

Anyway, like Culfcapt said, I think it was in the July issue. It was referring to false gods and how we can elevate something, whether it be a sport or pastime, to the point of treating it like a false god. In other words, replacing God himself for something of secular value. It was a great article and a real eye opener for some of us hunting freaks! Rev. Zeke titled that article wisely as it caught the eyes of many!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:08 am

Rev. Zeke, WOW!!! I think you could have found a million different titles for your article! Was that just to sell copies? I did not read your article but I do have an issue with your title. I myself am a "Doubting Thomas" for my own myriad reasons. But, if you are a Reverend, you are held to a higher standard. I also believe your "Title" should have been edited by any God fearing administrator. I have read the reviews and they are positive about this and your other articles, but, "Come on Man"

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:06 pm

For those of you who are asking about the original article by Rev Zeke. You can find it on the D&DH website at:
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/article/great-sport-horrible-god/

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Rev. Zeke, WOW!!! I think you could have found a million different titles for your article! Was that just to sell copies? I did not read your article but I do have an issue with your title. I myself am a "Doubting Thomas" for my own myriad reasons. But, if you are a Reverend, you are held to a higher standard. I also believe your "Title" should have been edited by any God fearing administrator. I have read the reviews and they are positive about this and your other articles, but, "Come on Man"

God is a title or adjective.

I haven't read the article but I am sure he is referring to hunting being a horrible 'god' or 'idol' to worship if you let it get to that point. Which most people do.

It has to do with a frame of reference, whatever your life is 'centered' on is 'your god', family, money, pleasures, self, God, are a few common ones...

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:47 pm

I've said what he said for years, not the god stuff, but the elevating of deer hunting to something too important. He's just got a much better way with words.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features