Cell Phone/Hunting Question

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Archer917

RE: Cell Phone/Hunting Question

Postby Archer917 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:33 pm

[size="3"][font="tahoma"]
Hunted for years with out one never thought about having one or not when hunting as that's when I want to be away from everything like that anyway!
[/font][/size]
LH Ruger M77 Mark II 30-06 - Savage 10 MLSS-II 50cal - LH Mathews Reezen 7.0 -
Only Left Handed People Are In There Right Minds.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:40 am

I carry my cell phone on hunting trips so that, if I fall out of my treestand, I can order a pizza while I wait for the ambulance to show up.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:06 am

I would still hunt an area if I didn't have a cell phone connection....have done that for years wihout giving it a second thought,I'm probably one of the last people to get a cell phone and the only reason of that is because I can be of assistance in case something happens to one of my Kids at School.I usually tell the Wife where I'm going and when to expect me back in case something does in fact happen and She can start to really worry!We when go Hunting on our Lease all of us Hunters carry a walkie-talkie and I must say it is very nice and convenient to keep tabs on where each of us are and what kind of Deer movement we're seeing and what to expect.We usually keep talking down to a minimum and if it gets a little slow its nice to make a comment or even listen (spying on) to others Hunters around talking about shooting a Deer and what they are seeing too.

When I'm Hunting I don't like to be playing or messing around on a cell phone and miss a chance at a Deer or even scare it off because I'm distracted playing a game.If I do carry a cell phone it is on "Vibrate" when I'm Hunting and I'd rather feel the solitude of being alone than having to talk or text someone my every movements! [8|] [:@] [;)]

Wanderer....what kind of Pizza is best to order when You fall out of tree?..........Hmmmmm?... thick crust might soften your fall a little more than say a thin & crispy! [;)]

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:03 am

I feel that a cell phone is a must when out hunting...if it works where your'e going.
If not, oh well, I still go. Either way I leave a note or tell my wife exactaly where I'll be and when I'll be home. If i'm not home by a certain hour I ask her to send out a search party.
And walkie talkies usually work short range no matter where you are so they come in handy...even out hunting alone. Leave one in your vehicle or with your wife or hubby and if you fail to return send out the search party and if your still alive at least each of you will have the walkie.

As far as going away on a remote area hunt where there is no cell service like maybe Alaska, the Yukon etc... I would rent a satelite phone for the week or two.

When ordering the post fall pizza, make sure you order enough for everyone in the rescue party, I would go with at least 10 large.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 am

I do not own a cell phone! My wife has a phone that piggy-backs off of her Mother's plan. I however, never carry one. Never had the need/desire. I pretty much only hunt on one of three family farms so I'm not too worried about it. I also always carry a small first aid kit and a compass when I go hunting. Kinda funny because I preach taking a cell phone when the subject of safety comes up! [:D]

If I was to hunt in the location described in the OP, I would certainly still carry a compass, first aid kit and if really worried about it, maybe a satellite phone if the place was very remote. In the case of the latter, I'd more than likely be hunting with someone else rather than alone.

Randy3003

Postby Randy3003 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:27 am

Don't, haven't, and never will take my cell phone to the woods.  When I'm hunting I'm hunting.  Don't have time to talk or be distracted.  When I leave the truck I've already told some one where I'll be and what time to expect me.  If I down a deer and need help then I go to the truck and make a call.  My girl ridiculed me one time for this practice, but she only did it once!!!!  When I'm hunting I'm hunting.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 pm

When I'm hunting I'm hunting.

And that, my friends, says it about as well as it can be said!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MRHunter

Postby MRHunter » Thu May 06, 2010 6:56 am

Just as many of you.. I would continue to hunt without cell phone coverage. There are several places in PA that I hunt today that a cell phone signal cannot reach. I just let others know where I will be hunting.

deerman69

Postby deerman69 » Sun May 09, 2010 6:55 am

I hunt where there is no coverage all the time. The only thing I do is after hunting all day, is go to town to call home and check in with the wife to let her know I'm all right. deerman

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sun May 09, 2010 8:31 am

I do the same as deerman69. I think it's responsible to at least tell someone were you are, our give a time of return at least. Sometimes if im deep in the woods, i'll leave my GPS coordinates in my truck so they can find me if needed.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features