Cell Phone/Hunting Question

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
mb915

RE: Cell Phone/Hunting Question

Postby mb915 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:54 am

I am very fortunate that the areas that I hunt in both VA and PA do not have cell phone service.  The place in VA I am about 15 miles from the nearest area where I could even get cell phone service.  I love the fact that I do not get service; I am not even tempted to take a phone along with me.  I typically only get to hunt Saturdays; the last thing I want to do after working all week is have a phone with me where someone might be able to get in touch with me.  My favorite part about hunting is getting outdoors, away from the "real world" and watching a beautiful sunrise/sunset and just taking in the sights and sounds of the woods.  It is a great stress reliever and is always nice to not have to worry about anything else that is going on in your life while you are out there.

Now being that I hunt in these areas by myself pretty often, I typically let someone know where I intend to be.  But being that I hunt National Forest and there are thousand of acres I can roam, specific stand locations are hard to give since plans can quickly change.  I decided that this year I will leave a note on the dash of my truck every time I leave the truck, so if something does happen and a search and rescue team is sent to find me, they will have a better idea of where I might be to assist them in finding me quicker.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu May 13, 2010 1:20 pm

I like your idea about the note, but if phone service is available why not carry the phone in the off mode. If you get in trouble, it may save your life.  I get what you are saying about wanting to be mentally alone in the woods though...it might just be the best part.

Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue May 18, 2010 12:59 am

I agree with Ohio Farms. Take it from a guy who got his name on the map:  take the phone.

I spent a good deal of my 20's and 30's doing things like backpacking, caving, and that sort of thing.  All that was before I got my first cell phone. Someone back home knew where I would be, when I was going in, and when I was coming out.  I had a set time that I had to make contact on Sunday night, otherwise they'd know to call the local authorities and report me missing.  I also put a note on my dashboard.

Since we got the farm, I still make sure somebody knows what I'm up to.  In spite of that, I now carry a cell phone.  When I'm not the only one at the farm, I also carry an FRS radio. Here's why.

1)  I'm 51.  I'm in near-perfect health, but you never know.  I'm getting to an age where I know people who have dropped over dead.
2)  I hunt from treestands.  I know folks that have had to crawl out on their elbows with a broken back.  It sucks.  I once had to do a quarter mile on my elbows, but I was in a cave and I was in peak shape-- it's not fun.
3)  Even a broken leg or arm can really mess up your head. There's also hypothermia and the heat-related ailments.   I've had it happen a couple of times.  Once you've lost your rationality, there is no telling what you'll do.  I got over-heated on a hike back in 2000, and nearly walked off a cliff in the Big South Fork.  When something bad happens. It's great to be able to call and let folks know where you are.
4) KYHillChick has gotten lost twice on our farm.  I've gotten turned around once. 'HillChick doesn't have much of a sense of direction.  Me?  What got me in trouble was the quick onset of thick fog, and the fact that I'd left the house without a compass.  Getting lost can be a real problem.  Couple that with rain, a small injury, and some bad luck and you can be mulch in no time.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Wed May 19, 2010 4:43 pm

I think it's great to have a phone with you when you hunt.  Texting when I'm bored is a great way to kill time without talking.

However, when you drive north and cross over into the U.P. and take a left.  Nextel no longer works and it's like a huge vacation from the cell phone technology. 

IT IS NICE!!!!!!
Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:10 pm

ORIGINAL: IsitInTREES

I think it's great to have a phone with you when you hunt.  Texting when I'm bored is a great way to kill time without talking.

However, when you drive north and cross over into the U.P. and take a left.  Nextel no longer works and it's like a huge vacation from the cell phone technology. 

IT IS NICE!!!!!!

Utoh... don't let woods walker read this one. ;-)

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:49 pm

I do agree that cell phones are a critical safety device and I would hunt an area that doesn't have service. This is a little off topic from the original post but I hope that my fellow hunters don't use cell phones and 2 way radios to the whitetails detriment. Technically it's illegal in Ohio to use "electronic devices" 2-way radios was the intended target I belive, to the animals detriment. I hope my gun hunting brothers doesn't use these devices to notify standers when they're driving deer. Same with Cell phones--In my opinion, it's OK to text a friend to see if game's moving, it helps pass the time and keep you interested when you're not seeing much, but using it to alert a fellow hunter is unethical.

topcritter

Postby topcritter » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:33 pm

I would still hunt without a cellphone. As it turns out I don't get much coverage where my blind is anyway. But, just like a flight plan for flying, I would plan my hunt and include info for my buddies and loved ones and what to do when, where, why, how, and IF needed. [8D]
Though HE slay me, yet will I trust in HIM.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features