Where's Your Line in the Sand?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Ben Sobieck

Where's Your Line in the Sand?

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:18 am

When it comes to deer and deer hunting, many of us like to draw that proverbial line in the sand. It's that line you just won't cross, no matter what the potential benefits might be.

For some hunters, it's a tactic. For some managers, it's a specific practice. As the years tick by, it seems that most of us whitetail fanatics have reached a tipping point.

Bob Zaiglin takes a look at lines in the sand when it comes to deer management. Click here to read Zaiglin's article.

Check out Zaiglin's new book, Whitetail Racks, full of photos and stories of just that.

scottflesher

RE: Where's Your Line in the Sand?

Postby scottflesher » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:08 pm

I draw the line in the sand when our common sense, logic and ethics aren't the first thought in our minds.
What I mean by the above statement is that at the bare minimum we should respect the law. Our own ethics should be even "higher" than the law. We should respect landowners rights (to post or allow hunting--even if it's not what we want to hear), we shouldn't harvest deer soley for the antlers, and we shouldn't waste the meat.

When we become greedy, we will ruin the heritage of the outdoors for all who come after us.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 pm

A Big Amen to that[:)]

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:22 pm

It all boils down to respect. If you respect the law, respect the land, respect the animals, respect others (hunters and non-hunters alike), and respect yourself; you won't cross that line.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:34 pm

very well said hunt4fun

crazybull

Postby crazybull » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:18 pm

In a society full of touch me nots and people with overly delicate senseablities I think the golden rule still applies "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Fear the government that fears your gun!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:21 am

I guess I have several lines I have personally drawn for myself....I always Hunt by Fair Chase,if its past legal shooting light I'm done Hunting some times I even leave a little early in case I happen to jump up a Deer on the way back home or to Camp that way I still have an oportunity at getting a Deer,if its early in the morning I wait til legal shooting time also even if I have Deer around my stand I can always rattle or grunt them back in or wait til they come back?I always respect the Property Owner and most of all,the Land and Wildlife that is on it and I try to help out my Fellow Hunters so they are succesful in their goals to harvest a Deer and I follow Game Rules and Regulations set by our local State and Conservation Agency's also.If we all work together we can make Hunting better for the Youths out there learning the Ethical way to Hunt.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:53 pm

we have some guys who come to Ohio from out of state during our shotgun season. They "hunt" the 60 acres next to our property. They aren't hunters they're killers. There are about 9 of them and they each buy 3 tags (one buck and 2 anterless) and they intend to fill those tags. They shoot anything that moves, even yearlings. I hate that these types of hunters give us sportsmen a bad name.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:09 pm

wow..they did pay for the tags correct....they did pay to stay and they did spend money in your state...oh i mean our state..

our economy could use some out of state help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also live in Ohio...and belive me their is no shortage of deer and really big deer...i hunt public land and have seen plenty of big ones...not close enough to get with the bow but they are all over ohio....

I also have a place in PA that abutts public land ...do they shoot anything yeap...does it suck yeap...but they have a right to do as they wish it is a free country...

do i still do qdma...yeap does it help them...yeap...has it made my land better and hunting better yeap....

I Only get upset when i find guys hunting my land ..that i worked for...and when asked if they saw my posted signs they say ..... um yeah

and act like it is no big deal....my hard earned sweat went into buying it if you want to hunt it i will gladly sell it to you or you could offer to aleast pay the taxes.....

other than that I wish the law woould actually protect my property rights and not the guy trespassing...
because the law doesn't care either ...

it is to trouble some for them to drive down and get out of the car and actually arrest someone ..... they would rather get sit in the car and hand out speeding tickets to innocent hard working americans......less paper work i guess....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Other than the obvious, like obeying both the letter and spirit of the law, my line is more along the lines of my own personal limits regarding gadgets and technology.

For example, if it uses batteries of any sort, I don't need or want it with me in the field (except for a flashlight).

If I have to carry it and it only has one use, then I will either leave it behind, or try to combine it with something else. The exceptions to this the weapon I'm carrying.

If whatever it is REPLACES a woodcraft skill rather than enhance it, then I try to avoid it. The exception here is matches or a lighter (although I've learned not to trust the lighters......in extremely cold weather they don't work well, and by being mechanical, then failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN), but I DO have the tools and skill to start a fire from scratch if need be, and even if you do have matches, you still have to know how to make and start a fire with natural fuels.

In this same vein are the use of calls. I will only use mouth or hand calls, because using them takes more personal skill than turning on a cassette. There are some species of animals that I call that use nothing but my hands, mouth and voice for.....owls, crows, and predators for example, and even a deer or two on occasion. Again, personal satisfaction.

I also use nothing but oilstones to sharpen all my knives with. It takes longer, but you get a MUCH finer edge, and I take a tremendous amount of pride in getting razor sharp edging on my cutting tools. This includes broadheads. For me, the personal connection of having the broadhead's edge that slays the deer come from MY hand makes the hunt all that more rewarding.

Again, these are my personal quirks, because for me it makes the "hunting" season last all year.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features