Dan's Question of the Week

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:29 am

Hi everyone,

This is going to be a precursor to a feature we will have on the new ddh site coming this summer. Wanted to get the ball rolling here to get everyone thinking.

Each week, I'm going to post a question here and let you all chime in with your thoughts. It's open-ended. I want honest, from your gut answers. There is no right or wrong answer. Healthy debate is encouraged. Name-calling is not.

From the pages of the August issue, which you will be receiving in the mail soon:

"Whether you have hunted there or not, when you think of Texas deer hunting, what comes to mind?"
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

4khorn

RE: Dan's Question of the Week

Postby 4khorn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:17 am

The only thing I have to go by is what I have seen on TV and hunting videos, and that has left a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to Texas Hunting. It seems like all they do is bait and shoot bucks out in the open with rifles from 300 yards. Not hardly what I would consider hunting having grown up bowhunting the hardwoods of Illinois. I will say this though, with all of the open country in Texas, it would make bowhunting a bit more challenging, and I can respect the feat of getting a deer close enough to take with a bow no matter where the hunt takes place.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:35 am

Feeders, rifles, nice bucks, lots of deer, and stands mounted on trucks! AND camouflaged cowboy hats.[:D]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:28 pm

[ol][*]The caliber of buck shot is directly proportional to the amount of money that just vacated your wallet.
[*]Puny little deer with big horns. 
[*]Ahh, the joyous sound of corn rattling out of a timed feeder.[*]I hunt out of state because I can't afford another mortgage just to be able to hunt deer.[/ol]

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:35 pm

I have two thoughts.... one is the real beginning of deer management and age classes and genetics.
 The second is that it is really close to hunting in a fence!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:33 pm

wiqdma- You bring up a great point. Texas has and continues to have a major impact on research and management.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:53 pm

First thought?

"Rich man's game farm"
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Thin antlers with long tines.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:16 pm

To sum it up...ranch and a fence.

Many of the ranches in Texas have been stocked with Illinois fawns. They don't get the nutritional value from living in Illinois but they can get the genetics. Many of our local deer farms here in Illinois raise deer just to supply many of the Texas game ranches.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:07 pm

First thought......many high fenced areas.
Next thought......deer leases and nice racks are a secondary cash-crop for most larger ranchers and land-holders.
(In some cases, it may even be the main source of revenue.)
Probably some nice deer, since various forms of QDM are generally practiced in TX.
As someone mentioned above, some interesting deer research comes out of Texas.
Lived there for some 6 years and did not hunt at all.........refused to pay huge sums
for what I could do in the mountains of West Virginia for the simple cost of a season
license.
Am once again back in the mid-Atlantic area and hunting those beautiful WV mountains.
Big deer in WV? Nope. Not many; however, some years ago a realized that what I sought
in deer hunting had very little to do with antler size or scores. It's the experience that
matters.......to me.

Good question. Looking forward to your future weekly topics

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features