Study: Crossbow Users Aren't Newbies

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
AlleganBowhunter

Study: Crossbow Users Aren't Newbies

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Tue May 11, 2010 6:20 am

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/article/Crossbow_users_not_beginners/

I will say up front I am not against crossbows.   I am against the manufacturers coming into states and funding/forcing the issue.  If there is a group of citizenry that pushes for the implement and then the state DNR ( or similar agency)  can take steps to implement it. 

I am trying to reserve judgment until I get to read your story in the upcoming issue but based on the last email, I am starting to smell the stink already.  Regarding this "survey" please show me a link to the survey and the questions asked.  A survey from TenPoint Technologies regarding the use of crossbows is the same as leaving the fox in charge of the hen house, or asking a politician how well his failed legislation is working.  The numbers could be accurate but the source leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Plus wasn't one of the goals of cross bow integration for recruiting new hunters? 

Reading the above story I only see reference to "deer hunting" once.  All the other times it refers to just "hunting."  As in did they ask how many people have been hunting (any animal) before and morphing that into "multi-season deer hunters."  Don't know because I can't find the survey.

Either way, love it or leave it, crossbows are hear to stay.  I don't plan on using one anytime soon.

If you do, you and any other hunter, using a legal weapon for the season are welcome in my camp.
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

Woods Walker

RE: Study: Crossbow Users Aren't Newbies

Postby Woods Walker » Tue May 11, 2010 10:09 am

I picked up a crossbow once in a store. I immediately had the urge to rob, rape and kill. Must be the evil spirits that reside therein!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue May 11, 2010 1:11 pm

You smell nothing, the survey is accurate. Some have bought the crossbow to facilitate taking their children hunting with them, some were looking for a new tool, some were "non- disability" injuries. The mass influx of rifle hunters into the archery season did not occur and the resource decimation most certainly did not occur.  

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue May 11, 2010 2:25 pm

I don't think it makes sense to discredit a crossbow survey just because crossbow manufacturers sponsor it. Who, besides the crossbow manufacturers, would want to spend money on a survey? Maybe some anti-crossbow faction. If they, or anyone else would, then by all means let's consider the results of that survey, too. But if that survey doesn't exist or is motivated by a desire not to allow crossbows, then we examine any survey for its objectivity and use what we can.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

MRHunter

Postby MRHunter » Wed May 12, 2010 3:01 am

Being a new Crossbow hunter.. Here are my observations during my decision to buy a crossbow vs compound bow. I also have hunted deer/turkey with rifle/shotgun for 30+ years.

Last year I decided that I wanted to take up bow hunting and could not decide between a compound bow or crossbow. PA just allowed crossbow hunting during archery season. I was leaning toward a compound bow. But after talking with other compound bow and crossbow users and outfitters, I decided on a crossbow. Many compound bow users were advising me to buy a crossbow.

The main reason I chose a crossbow was due to recovering from a herniated disc in my lower back.

During my investigation into which crossbow would be a good purchase, I asked several archery outfitters about their crossbow sales. Many of them back up the survey findings in the article mentioned above. Many of the crossbow buyers were bow hunters that had previously hunted with compound bows.

Also, during archery season in PA, I hunted private land, State Forest, and State Game Land. I was suprised by the lack of hunters in the woods. I had never hunted during archery season before. But, I assumed there would be more hunters.

From my observations during my purchase decision and my observations during archery season, the addition of crossbows has not negatively affected the archery season or added many new hunters (other than myself) to the woods during archery season. Plus, the hunters that are buying crossbows are not new to hunting and are mainly archery compound bow hunters.

Just my observations....

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Wed May 12, 2010 5:18 am

to shed some light on this subject...this  quote was taken from huntingindiana proboards. It was posted by Woody, the site admin.

"This survey that showed that "Only 1 percent of those surveyed said they had no prior hunting experience" was contradictory to all data that I have seen before on this subject of crossbw recruitment.

So, I fired off an email to TenPoint about their so called survey that revealed "1% of crossbow users had never hunted before".

They got back with me right away and did state emphatically that "this was not a scientific survey".

This survey was of TenPoint owners only through their E Flashes.

That is not a very good representative sample of all crossbowers.

The overwhelming bulk of the TenPoint bows are high dollar bows and most sell with a crank on them. The TenPoint owners are older and have been around awhile, thus the high percent of hunters and a low percent of "newbies".

TenPoint said that they were more into the "retainment of older bowhunters" and manufacturers of the cheaper bows were into "recruitment". People that have not hunted before and who are wanting to try crossbows for the first time are not about to drop $1,500 or more on a top end TenPoint bow.

That produced a huge bias in this survey.

If the survey had been conducted by Horten or Barnett (lower end starter bows) they would have got a better perspective of how many newbies were getting into crossbowing.

AGAIN - This was NOT a survey of all crossbow owners, but TenPoint owners ONLY."

http://huntingindiana.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=deerhunting&action=display&thread=32236
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features