It's Not "Your" Deer...Is It? - Editor's Stump

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
SHKYBoonie

RE: It's Not "Your" Deer...Is It? - Editor's Stump

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:39 pm

This defiantly came out of jealousy. This kid should have been able to enjoy the fact that he took such a fine animal. Instead, some arrogant you know what had to come and take the wind out of his sails. This should define the term "unsportsmanlike conduct".

I hunt in KY where it is only legal to take one buck per year. So, season after season I find myself going after a particular deer. I have gone without filling my tag before. This is my choice. I will, however, not pass up a great deer just because he is not the one I was going after. Sometimes I will even send buddy's or kids into my area to try their luck at the deer. If they were to take the particular deer I were after, I would be as happy for them as if I had taken it myself.

I had a friend that took his best buck ever on his lease in TN last week. He hunts the lease with 2 other guys whom he has been friends with for several years. He called one of them after loading the deer up just to share his story. His "friend" told him that that was the deer he had been after sense the beginning of the season. He had seen him twice and missed him once. He could not believe that he had killed "his deer"! Then he hung the phone up on him. Now, I know both of these guys. I couldn't believe that the one guy was acting this way. He has sense called the other member of the lease and tried to talk him into kicking my friend off of the lease because he kill "his deer". The other lease member did not see it that way. Hopefully the guy who is acting this way will get out of the lease instead of my friend leaving because of the hostility.

I just have a hard time understanding where these people are coming from. I guess I was just brought up different.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:29 pm

I completely agree with Dan's article...great job as always.

I had a situation this year where I missed a dandy buck with my bow on a Thursday morning.  Saturday morning came and the neighboring farm folks were gun hunting the property (not an issue)....from the same treestand (that I built).

Long story short, they killed a nice 10pt from that treestand.  Maybe the one I missed, maybe not.  Either way, it took me a few days to get over it.  But, hey...I had my chance.  That's just the way it goes with hunting.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:37 am

We're always in an indirect competition with the hunting club to our south, and while we evilly enjoy it when they get skunked, [:)] - we also don't mind it to much when they get a nice deer.  Kind of lets us know we're doing the right thing with our property and we've got good sized deer in the area.  Afterall, the only way to "own" a deer is to high fence it, and where's the fun in that?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

What kinda of men/women would take away the glory/feelings that go's with shooting a magnifacent buck like that from a 12 yr old "CHILD"!!!!!! That couldn't give praises and kudo's to a job well done? Its down right SICKING to know that anyone could write negatives in a publication about our youth hunts, thats geared for our children to get a chance at a somewhat calm deer before hunting season kicks in full swing,and the countryside gets shotup! To all you RON SHELTONS, PATRICK GEE'S in this world... This attitude you people have of (Mine Mine Mine all Mine) because you might have a little piece of land, or plant a food plot, or practice QDM, or let a deer walk in previous yrs, or got a trail cam photo!!!!!! I'll wisper it to you so the rest of the world won't hear: these "FREE" roaming deer don't belong soley to you.. I know its hard for you to comprehend this, but with alittle psycho help from the doc im sure he'll be able to break thru that one track mind set you have. To the youngman and family, Congrates on that great deer, you accomplished something that many of us dream of year after year. great job ! mike.haglund@gmail.com

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:22 pm

all of your deer are belong to ME!

My woods, my spot, my deer, wah wah wah... people are funny man I tell ya.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 pm

whoops, double post[8|]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:36 pm

I dont know how I missed this post, but I remember the article...Anyway I couldnt agree with you more Dan! I felt bad for the kid who shot the buck. It is a buck of a lifetime and, I sure hope that the kid didnt let these adults reck something amazing for him. It really is sick what people will do just for a buck, and its sad that people cant just say " HEY GREAT DEER!" You cant eat the rack anyway, we hunt because we love and enjoy being in the outdoors. For anyone and everyone who gets a deer, Im just as excited as they are!

So here's mine.. WAY TO GO KID! Thats an amazing buck!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Randy3003

Postby Randy3003 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:18 am

Really pisses me off when "grown men" act the fool.  This young fella is the future of our sport, and for anyone to do this is unthinkable.  It's a free range deer and if he got lucky enough to one up you instead of acting this way, you would think  he would be congratulating the young man on his accomplishment, not ridiculing him.  I hope we didn't loose a future hunter because of a damn fool

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:12 am

I could not agree more with everybody. MY deer has my tag on it. All the rest belong to the woods.  I think you can judge the character of a  person by the way he treats children.   
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features