uncle ted's baiting

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
fasteddie

RE: uncle ted's baiting

Postby fasteddie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Pittsburgh and Philly the game commision recently voted to use contraceptives to manage the deer herd
"In Pittsburgh and Philly the game commision recently voted to use contraceptives to manage the deer herd" ??? I'd hate to be the one slipping condoms on those deer ! [8|]..[8|]
Semper Fi !

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:57 pm

I heard about one suburb that had Rosie O'Donnell masks made to put on the does in an overpopluated herd.

The reproduction rate went to zero......
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:03 pm

ORIGINAL: Jldombach

Hey just wanted to add my two cents to this whole deer baiting issue. In portions of Pennsylvania around Pittsburgh and Philly the game commision recently voted to use contraceptives to manage the deer herd. Now as far as i am concerned this is a very high level of human interference in nature not to mention what is sure the be expensive for a commision that is already have financial problems. If baiting is as effective as the the people who are against it say it is then this would be a great cheap way to let hunters control the herd and not through some drug with uncertian long term effects.

2 points......

1. In urban areas the reason for the use of an ineffective method such as contreception on a free ranging herd has nothing to do with what's logical or effective, but more to appease the anti-hunting "citidiots" that inhabit the area. They wanted to try this in one of the Chicago suburbs a few years ago.

2. To counter your statement about baiting, if baiting is NOT all that effective, and is really no different than other hunting methods, they WHY would anyone go through the HIGH COST, and the effort involved to keep bait stations/piles if it doesn't work all that well???
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

greenihunter

Postby greenihunter » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 am

I live in PA so baiting in some areas are legal to control herds in city locations, however if you hunt over a apple tree its legal but move the apples under that same tree into a pile then its baiting, the same for corn fields, the game comission wants you to believe that it causes mass deer germs, joke, deer travel the same path to water and food and they like to come in herds so it natural they are together not baiting, they need to worry more about how they handle the deer, if they continue they will wipe them all out.

12 gauge

Postby 12 gauge » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:24 am

I love ted and his opinions but hunting over or around an apple tree is much different than a pile of bait, those trees are there all year and the deer know this, how does dumping a pile of food in the woods make you a better hunter and what kind of hunting skills do you need to sit over it. i have never baited in my life and rarely do i ever go "backstrapless". find some rubs and scrapes and learn how to use them, the satisfaction you will get of harvesting a deer in it's own enviroment will never compare to sitting over a pile of bait 

pigdogger

Postby pigdogger » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:31 am

THIS ARTICLE WAS THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER READ. AS AN AVID HUNTER/SPORTSMEN/OUTDOOR ENTHUSIAST I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT IS COMING OUT OF SOME OF THESE PEOPLES MOUTHS.

HERES A SOLUTION FOR YOU BAITERS.

-INSTEAD OF SPENDING ALL THE MONEY ON THE CLOTHING, CAMERAS, STANDS, FOUR WHEELERS, AND THE HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS OF EQUIPMENT THAT IS SOMEWHAT TYPICAL TO HAVE NOW A DAYS I HAVE THIS SUGGESTION.

-GO OUT AND PURCHASE A STEER, YOU KNOW A BOVINE/CATTLE. GO OUT AND BUY YOUR RIFLE OR BOW AND THE AMMO AND TAKE IT OUT TO YOUR PROPERTY. LET IT LOOSE OUT IN FRONT OF YOU AND SHOOT IT.

-THAT IS EXACTLY EQUIVELENT TO BAITING. IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY AND YOU WILL KILL SOMETHING EVERY TIME. BAITING IS NOT HUNTING IT IS KILLING. IF YOU ARE HUNTING FOR FOOD NOWADAYS TO SUPPLY YOUR FAMILY WITH THE ONLY MEAT THEY WILL GET THAT YEAR THAN MOVE INTO THE 21ST CENTURY. IF YOU HAVE TO KILL A DEER EVERY TIME YOU OUR OUT IN THE WOODS THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU.

-FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HUNT IN AREAS WHERE FINDING DEER IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE OR EXTREMELY DIFFICULT DUE TO LOW POPLULATIONS OR THE ABUNDANCE OF NATURAL FOOD FOR THE DEER THAN ACCEPT THE FACT THAT YOU WILL NOT KILL A DEER EVERY YEAR. IT IS THE 21ST CENTURY AND SADLY FOR SOME WE NO LONGER HUNT FOR FOOD BUT FOR THE SPORT AND TRADITION. SO I THINK THAT THE IMPORTANCE OF TAKING THE ANIMAL IS VERY LOW.

-WHEN I HUNT AND IF I AM LUCKY AND FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO TAKE ANY ANIMAL DEER OR OTHER GAME ANIMALS I LOOK AT IT AS A POTENTIAL COST SAVINGS BUT I BELIEVE A GUY WHO DOES THE MATH WILL QUICKLY REALIZE A DEER IS SOMETIMES NOT CHEAPER THAN BUYING A STEER OR MEAT FROM THE STORE OR BUTCHER SHOP.

-BAITING I BELIEVE IS A CHEATERS WAY AS IS NOT HUNTING AT ALL. GO TO ONE OF THOSE GAME FARMS WHERE THE ANIMALS RUN AROUND IN FENCED IN PASTURES AND GO SHOOT IT. IF KILLING AN ANIMAL IS THAT IMPORTANT TO YOU EVERY TIME YOU GO HUNTING THAN THERES SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU.

-HUNTING FOR ME IS A TRADITION, HERITAGE AND A CHALLENGE. IT'S ABOUT FAMILY, FRIENDS COMRADARY. IT'S ABOUT GOOD TIMES AND MEMORIES. IT'S ABOUT THE THRILL OF THE HUNT AND BEING OUT IN MOTHER NATURE AND SEEING SIGHTS AND THINGS THAT PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THE CITIES AND DONT EXPERIENCE THE OUTDOORS WILL NEVER SEE. ONCE AGAIN TAKING THE ANIMAL IS THE BONUS IF ANYTHING NOT THE SOLE REASON FOR HUNTING. PEOPLE HAVE ALL BUT FORGOTTEN IT.

-ITS ALL ABOUT ANTLER SIZE, BODY SIZE AND HOW MANY OF EACH ANIMAL YOU KILL. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE.

-I WONDER WHO IN THIS WIDE WORLD GOT THESE PEOPLE INTO THE OUTDOORS OR SHOWED THEM HOW TO HUNT? WHY SO COMPETITIVE? WHY SO IMPORTANT TO KILL? ENJOY BEING OUT THERE WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND YOUNG HUNTERS WHO YOU CAN HELP GET INTO THE SPORT AND MAINTAIN THESE TRADITIONS.

-BAITING IS CHEATING PLAIN AND SIMPLE. BAITING IS KILLING. HUNTING IS EXACTLY WHAT IT IS AND THATS HUNTING.

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:22 pm

Louisiana allows baiting. But I do not hunt over feeders our food plots. Over the years I found that mainly does and yearlings feed on them. And if the acorns or falling, or other preferable native food source is going on, you can forget seeing deer. So save your money! But if you can only hunt from a stand, bigger is better. And feeders do help along with food plots and mineral licks.

berudd

Postby berudd » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:49 pm

PIGDOGGER TURN OFF THE F'IN CAPS LOCK IT'S THE INTERNET EQUIVALENT OF SCREAMING LIKE A BLITHERING IDIOT!

And while you're at it turn down the hyperbole a notch as well. No, baiting for wild deer is not even remotely the same as shooting a quasi-tame domesticate livestock animal bred and raised to be accepting of humans. If you think that is identical to hutning deer over bait you have either 1) never been around cattle, 2) never been around wild deer or, 3) both 1 and 2. I've walked out into my grandfather's pasture with a bucket of corn and as soon as the cattle see it they will pretty much walk right up and eat out of my hand. Try that with deer and let us know how it works out for you. If deer come to the bait, and there is no assurance that they will, you can F it up and tip them off that you are there and you will not get a shot. So it does not take significant intelligence to see that these two things are far from identical.

However, I also can't agree with those that say it is no different than hunting over naturally occuring forage. It DOES give you an advantage. But not a terribley huge one IMO. I hunted over bait (corn) this year mostly to increase the odds of my 8 year old taking his first deer. We only saw one deer while hunting over the bait. I saw several more (and shot one) on the same propertly without the bait.

Personally, I don't get all the drama over this. If it is legal and works for you go for it. If you don't like it, well, then don't do it. Dog hunting is legal where I live but I would not do it if you paid me to. But I don't have my panties in a bunch over it either. The only time I would have a problem with someone hunting over bait is if they did it in a manner that was illegal for where they are hunting.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Opinions are welcome here, but watch the attacks. If its legal, its legal...you don't have to agree with it or do it.
Insulting people on here wont be tolerated.
Thanks!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Go easy on the "you people" comments and the yelling Pigdogger. You are pretty much alone with that attitude in this forum.
Dennis
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features