uncle ted's baiting

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
pigdogger

RE: uncle ted's baiting

Postby pigdogger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:57 am

It doesn't look like I am all alone on this considering there are several other posts here that reflect somewhat of my opinion not necessarily to the extreme level that I went to but there are guys who don't agree also.

I apologize for being a slight bit disrespectful but the state that I am from it is illegal to bait. And I would say the majority of people I am friends with or that I hunt with strongly disagree with baiting.

Once again I apologize to a certain extent.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:51 am

Interesting responses. I'm not a fan of baiting either but I do agree that if it's legal, you do have that right. One of the things I've had to realize is the fact that some people like to hunt and some people just like to bring home deer. Hunting involves bringing deer home sometimes and other times coming home skunked. Everyone has different objectives and we have to learn to live with each other's methods or we'll come apart at the seams. Personally, I like to hunt and don't care how long it takes to fill a tag.

Occasionally, I have trouble with "Uncle Ted" and his contribution to hunting. I never associate myself closely with his methods simply because I don't agree with him most of the time. Yes, he's done some good for the outdoorsman but he's also done some damage. "Uncle Ted" doesn't speak for all of us and I think many people would be surprised to know how many outdoorsman/women who dislike him. If his only road to "backstraps" is baiting, then he has that right if it's legal.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Well said, Marc. Especially this:
ORIGINAL: Marc Anthony

Everyone has different objectives and we have to learn to live with each other's methods or we'll come apart at the seams.

We can spend a lot of energy debating lots of issues on message boards like this, and convince each other of nothing. And worse, we can fracture relationships that should be strong and supportive.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:56 am

Personally, I like to hunt and don't care how long it takes to fill a tag.

I'm with you on that Marc! 
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:57 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

Well said, Marc. Especially this:
ORIGINAL: Marc Anthony

Everyone has different objectives and we have to learn to live with each other's methods or we'll come apart at the seams.

We can spend a lot of energy debating lots of issues on message boards like this, and convince each other of nothing. And worse, we can fracture relationships that should be strong and supportive.

Steve

Agreed on this.  There are a lot of things I'm not a huge fan of, but that's just my own opinion...As long as it's legal, more power to whoever wants to do it, whether this is baiting, crossbows, etc etc.
QDM!

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Our constitution gives you the right to your opinion and I'm a very proud veteran who would die for America. I'm proud we have the rights we have and I'm deeply thankful to our ancestors who got us these rights. That being said, Nuge the Nuts views are not his problem, its the example he is to the non-hunting community. Beyond that, a man looks into the sky and says the sky is blue. The next man says the sky is red with pink and purple pokkadots. The second man is clearly wrong. The sky color is not opinion. Its fact. 1st man says baiting is wrong. It is!!! 2nd man says baiting is right. He's wrong!!! Our country says he can be wrong, I'm glad it does, but that doesn't make baiting right no more than the sky is pink and purple pokkadots. Period
May God Bless You As He Has Me

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:57 am

Here's another aspect to this..scenting...do you think scenting is baiting?...well wanting to make sure I was totally legal hunting bear... I looked into what scents and how much would be legal in NY...I ended up talking to 4 DEC officers...reg 8 ...reg 9 and then Allegheny county where I planned on hunting...Oh actually got referred to one poor guy just walking out the door on an elk hunt out west...still sorry about that...

My ? was is doing a honey burn illegal in NY?

reg8 ..absolutely!

reg9...not sure ...on fence

Officer hunting...well here's the law....you can be in procession of 1oz of scent whether deer or bear....no food...but...if your burning it making smoke it's not food for them.

Allegheny County....same as above...but..example...if a guy wants to go out in the woods during bear season and fry up some bacon while he sits in his blind ...for his breakfast ...a bear comes along he can legally shoot it...because he can prove the bacon was his breakfast...I'd assume he better have some eggs around[8D]...Oh he also told me a legal fluid oz...if I were to soak a bunch of rags in honey..or bacon grease to burn...I could use as much as I want because I have now taken it out of liquid form...hhmmm

The point is even with a law in place the ppl in forcing them have different interpretations as to the letter of the law....So when we are doing all our scenting ...for those that do..... could it be considered baiting?

berudd

Postby berudd » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:06 am

ORIGINAL: dadof3upatree

Beyond that, a man looks into the sky and says the sky is blue. The next man says the sky is red with pink and purple pokkadots. The second man is clearly wrong. The sky color is not opinion. Its fact. 1st man says baiting is wrong. It is!!! 2nd man says baiting is right. He's wrong!!! Our country says he can be wrong, I'm glad it does, but that doesn't make baiting right no more than the sky is pink and purple pokkadots. Period

OK there is some seriously flawed logic here.  The color of the sky is a measurable physical trait.  On a clear day only light in wavelengths that our eyes/brains percieve as blue are visible.  The sky IS blue.  That is a physical fact.

However, ideas on baiting, or for that mater hunting in general, is a subjective opinon based on an individual's experiences or points of view.  Of course we are only talking about legal methods.  Excluding the legality in a specific area, baiting is neither right or wrong.  Their simply social pressures and opinions that support one point of view or the other.  There is no physical trait that can be measured to provide an answer to this question unlike the color of the sky.

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 am

That is exactly my point, I don't see this topic as a matter of opinion. One man says there is a wall there. There is. Second man says there isn't, as he walk into it repeatly. There is clearly a wall there. Man #2 can say its his "opinion" there is no wall, but there is, plain as day, a wall. Baiting is not hunting and there is a wall. Opinions don't change that.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:31 pm

But do you see that your statement "baiting is not hunting" is also just your opinion?  I'm assuming that baiting is illegal in Missouri. It is foreign to you and so it seems unsporting to you.  Some southern states allow dogs to hunt deer and it seems unsporting to me, but it is their tradition and who am I to judge a legal method of hunting?  I'm just saying...
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features