Dan's Question of the Week: First Archery Deer

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: First Archery Deer

Postby Dan Schmidt » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:49 am

I've always been fascinated with stories of any bow-hunter's first successful hunt. Tell me about your first successful bow-hunt:

What year:
Brand/Model Bow:
Broadhead:
Treestand or ground blind:
Buck or doe:

Any unusual events tied to the hunt?

Best,
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

tnt1960

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: First Archery Deer

Postby tnt1960 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:46 am

Mine was in 1995, the same year that I bought my new Oneida Tomcat X80 bow. My 2 brothers owned 40 acres in Atlanta, Michigan, and I always took 2 weeks off for bow season. I was up there by myself most of the 2 weeks, and this was one of those days. I remember sitting 20 feet up in my treestand, overlooking my bait pile, a pile of carrots. That was back when baiting was legal in Michigan.  It was around 9:00 in the morning, when I saw the 4 point buck coming from my left, walking along the powerline, when all of a sudden he turned to walk towards my bait. I knew he was coming, so I took my bow off of the bow hanger, and stood up to get ready for the shot. I watched him eat for a little while, waiting for him to turn broadside to offer me a shot. It seemed like an eternity! Finally he turned, and as I drew back, he looked right up at me. I put my pin right on his boiler room, and touched off the shot. He took off running to my extreme left, and I lost sight of him as he crested a hill. I knew the shot felt good! I sat down to compose myself. I was shaking so bad, I thought I was going to fall out of the tree! I waited a half hour before climbing down to investigate where he was standing when I shot, and right away saw blood. I was so excited!  I slowly started to follow the blood trail, and when I got to the hill where I lost sight of him, I found the fletching half of my arrow, covered with blood. (I still have it as a souvenir to this day.) I followed the blood trail a little farther, and there lay my buck, my first deer I had harvested with archery equipment. I cannot explain the thrill I had that day! To know that you took a deer with "stick and string", and all the hours of practice, is an awesome feeling. I hope every bow hunter can experience that some day. I had that 4 point buck mounted, and he is on the wall in my living room. He may not be the biggest buck I have taken, but he sure is the one that I am most proud of!

You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

tnt1960

Postby tnt1960 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:52 am

Sorry for my post being so large, I don`t know what I did wrong! 
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

dusty.b

Postby dusty.b » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:57 am

It was 1993 and I was 12 years old, the place was Clark County, WI. Dad and I were hunting behind the house on the 40 acres that my parents owned at the time. I had a pretty nice stand set up in a good size pine tree. About an hour before sunset, a doe and her fawn stopped on the trail 13 yards from the stand. A well placed lung shot from my Darton bow, aluminum Easton arrows, and Rocky Mountain Broadheads did the trick on that ol' doe. After the shot she ran out of sight to the south. By then I was so excited and shaking so bad I had to sit down before I fell out of the stand. After getting myself together I hollered for Dad, who was just over the hill. He quickly made his way over to me, where I explained what had just happened. We waited there for what felt like hours but was really about 20-30 mins. We found good sign right where she was standing when I shot. We started following the sign and found her roughly 50 yards later. I will never forget the afternoon hunt, it is still one of my favorites. I still have a picture of me sitting on the tailgate of dads truck next to my prize doe hanging in my hunting room now. Thank you Dad for getting me started..... Sorry I can't share the pic with you, I do not have access to it here in Iraq.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:28 am

I got my first bowkill last year on Halloween.  He came in around 9:00 AM in a area that has 3 draws coming together and he came walking down it.  What's funny is that I was about to get down from my stand and I already had my bow on the ground.  I was able to get my bow back up which is a PSE Stinger, and get a arrow notched.  I grunted twice and he stopped and starting scent checking and he turned around and started walking back where he came from.  I grunted again and this time he came walking in on the trail I walked in on.  When he got to 17 yards I shot and knew I hit him low and back.  I waited 6 hours to track him and after an hour and a half trailing him, I saw him pick his head up and put it back down.  I had to shoot him again to kill him and between my uncle, cousin and I we walked past him 3 different times before we saw him.  He is a 17 pointer that green scored 167 3/8.  I used the rage broadheads which really opened him up inside and he had massive internal bleeding.  

Scott

phillydog

Postby phillydog » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:51 am

I have been gun hunting for over 25 years.I wanted to expand my time in the field.A buddy of mine turned me on to bow hunting.I bought a Parker bow, lots of pratice and 2 years later i got my 1st bow buck.I was set up on a creek crossing.used a salt block and apples for bait.I hunt on a 40 that is land locked by 120 acres of state land. The creek runs right through the middle of the 40.My buddy was hunitng on the other side of the property.At 8:15 a.m. i heard something coming from across the creek.1st saw him at 60 yards,He crossed the creek right in front of me at 30 yards,he stopped in the middle to take a drink.He came right up on my side of the creek and over to the bait at 15 yards.When he put his head down to eat an apple i was able to draw back and make the shot.The arrow passed right through the lungs.My buddy heard the shot hit the buck,you know that " THWACK " sound!!!!we waited for an hour,found him 70 yards away laying in the creek.He was not the biggest buck i have taken but what a thrill to get a deer that close and do everything right.

phillydog

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:24 am

1994. I was away at college and my father shot a 187 inch 19 point non-typical on a Wednesday in early November. I was so eager to see it, that I decided to come home for the weekend. I drove the 3 hours back to my parents house Friday morning after my last class. I remember the day vividly. I got home around 1pm and pulled out the head and cape from a garbage bag in the deep freeze. After staring at the deer for about 15 minutes, I decided since I was home, I may as well go get into a built tree stand behind our property. I left a note for my parents (both still at work) and off I went. Becuase my college wouldn't allow weapon (go figure) I took a crossbow (i hadn't yet began to shoot a compound). My father came home early and when he saw my note, he decided to try to "roust" up some deer (keep in mind, I didnt' know this at the time). About 1 hour before dark, here came a nice buck. I arrowed the 9 pointer at 24 yards and he ran about 50 yards and fell on an adjacent bank (all visable from my stand). While I've never had the deer officially scored, the tips of his main beams almost touched and all 9 points were very tall. I believe his G2's were about 12 inches long, G3s about 8 inches. His frame was very similar to my fathers non-typical but lacked the mass and 10 additional points.
My fathers largest scoring deer and my largest scoring deer (to date) all within 3 days of each other. To that point, I believe I was lucky enough to get a buck each year during the Ohio shotgun season, but never one this nice. I'd bowhunted on occasion, but not with any regularity.
What a neat experience. Needless to say, I was hooked on bowhunting from that point on. After graduating college, I converted to a compound that I still hunt with today.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:12 am

Well, It was1985 for me. I bought my first bow. A bear kodiak,
A real piece of crap by todays standerds. I practiced for a couple
weeks, My father in law (at the time) Jim Invited me to go hunting with
him, His father and some of his fathers friends. So off to Gladwin Mi.
We camped on some state land there. The old guys were in a camper.
Me and the father in law were in a tent, I'll never forget how frozen I was.

Jim and I went looking for a spot to hunt. We found him a spot first and
threw down some bait. Then we looked for me a spot. Jim found a stand
already baited and said these guys wont be back till the weekend, It was
monday morning. You can hunt here he said. I didnt want to argue, Being
new to the group.
That afternoon Jim droped me off on the trail to the stand with his atv
said hed be back after dark. I sat in the stand for a couple hours before
I seen a nice buck comming toward the bait. It was an hour later before
the buck offerd me a shot, At one point he was under me, I could hear him tring to smell something. I was wearing carharts and he never picked me
out. I never moved an inch. I was sure feeling the preasure. I almost
couldnt draw my bow back, And then I had to hold it for a couple minnits
before finnaly being able to release the arrow, With my fingers. I couldnt
tell where the arrow hit, I just herd a big crunch as it hit. The deer ran
into a thicket out of sight. I felt so relived as the preasure was off.
I sat there until Jim came back about an hour later. He shut off the atv
and yelled for me. I said come here Jim. It wasnt till then that I got out
of the stand, Still shaking. We found no arrow and little blood. We went back
to camp. I never told anyone that it was a buck. We decided to track it
the next morning after the hunt. Well I sat in that same stand for what
seemed like forever before they came to track the deer. When they found
the deer, A nice 2 1/2 year old 6pt. It was a huge relief. I had caught the
liver and guts. The elders said I did the right thing to stay in the stand.

I will never forget the things Jims dad tought me. He was a real mentor
I wish I could have hunted with him for many more years as he was a
real life Fred Bear type. A real outdoorsman, As for Jim and his nutcase
daughter, Good riddens. Jake

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:05 pm

What year: 1991
Brand/Model Bow: XI Silverhawk
Broadhead: Thunderhead 125s
Treestand or ground blind: Treestand
Buck or doe:  6 pt buck

This was my second year hunting.  I was sitting right next to a bunch of apple trees on the outskirts of a patch of woods, with a clover field not more than 40 yards away.  I ended up seeing quite a few deer that evening but none offered me a shot till this 6 pt came in.  15 yards broadside.  Couldn't be happier!!!!
QDM!

DEERBOSS

Postby DEERBOSS » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:03 pm

YEAR: NOVEMBER 1999
BOW: PSE NOVA
BROADHEAD: ?
TREESTAND OR GROUND BLIND: TREESTAND
BUCK OR DOE: BUCK

MY FIRST DEER WITH THE BOW CAME IN EARLY NOVEMBER OF 1999, IT WAS A SATURDAY MORNING. I WAS A SENIOR I HIGH SCHOOL, THE NIGHT PRIOR TO HARVESTING MY DEER MY FOOTBALL TEAM HAD LOST IN THE SECTIONAL GAME. SO I WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING NOT REALLY IN ANY KIND OF MOOD TO GO OUT HUNTING BUT I WENT ANYWAY. SO ITS 5 MINUTES AFTER FIRST LIGHT AND I CATCH A DOE MOVING INTO MY AREA, SHE FOLLOWS A TRAIL THAT LEADS HERE WITHIN 1O YARDS OF MY STAND. BUT SHE CAUGHT ME OFF GUARD AND I WAS UNABLE TO GET MY BOW OFF THE HANGER. OF COURSE BEING MY FIRST YEAR BOW HUNTING I THOUGHT I COULD MOVE SLOW ENOUGH TO AVOID HER NOTICING ME REACHING FOR MY BOW. WELL NONE THE LESS SHE BUSTED ME AND WALKED OFF. NOT 20 MINUTES LATER A SEE A BUCK WORKING THE EDGE OF THE WOODS I WAS SITTING IN. HE CROSSED THE TRAIL WHERE THE DOE HAD LEFT THE WOODS. THE NEXT THING I KNOW THE BUCK IS FOLLOWING THE DOES TRAIL BACK TO ME. SO NOW I HAVE MY BOW OFF THE HANGER AND GETTING READY TO DRAW. THE BUCK GETS TO UNDER 10 YARDS AND I START TO DRAW BACK. NOW AT THE TIME I WAS SHOOTING WITH JUST MY FINGERS, NO RELEASE. I WAS SO EXCITED THAT I TWISTED THE STRING AS I DREW AND THE AROW CAME OFF THE REST AND BANGED INTO THE RISER ON MY BOW. WELL THE BUCK BOLTED 10 YARDS AND TURNED AND LOOKED BACK IN MY DIRECTION, BY THIS TIME I WAS ALREADY BACK AT FULL DRAW. I REALEASED THE ARROW AND WATCH AS THE ARROW PASSED THROUGH THE BUCK AND HE BOLTED TOWARDS THE WOODS. IN A MATTER OF SECONDS AND LESS THAN 50 YARDS I WATCHED THE YOUNG BUCK PILE UP. AT THAT TIME THE EXCITMENT STARTED TO SET IN, I BEGAN TO SHACK SO BAD I HAD TO SIT BACK DOWN BEFORE I FELL OUT OF THE STAND. AFTER ABOUT 15 TO 20 MINUTES OF CALMING MY SELF DOWN. I HAD THE FASTEST WALK BACK TO MY 4WHEELER AND A QUICK RIDE HOME TO GET MY OLDER BROTHER WHO HAD GOTTEN ME INTO BOW HUNTING, TO GO COLLECT MY BUCK. WE FOUND THE BUCK EXACTLY WHERE I HAD WATCH HIM PILE UP. AFTER GUTTING THE DEAR I FOUND THAT I HAD TAKEN HIS HEART RIGHT OUT! HE ISNT MY BIGGEST TROPHY BUT HE IS THE ONE THAT NO MATTER HOW MANY WHITETAILS I TAKE IN MY LIFE HE WILL ALWAYS STICK IN MY MIND!

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features