Dan's Question of the Week: First Archery Deer

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Everyday Hunter

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: First Archery Deer

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:56 am

My first successful bowhunt was as an adult -- I don't remember the year but it was the late 1980s. I was shooting a PSE bow with Easton arrows and Muzzy 125 grain broadheads.

I had asked a friend for permission to hunt on his land, and to use a wooden treestand he or one of his kids had built in a big soft maple about 50 yards from some apple trees. There was lots of deer sign, but I saw few deer until one day when 5 or 6 came through on my left. I gave a toot on my grunt tube and one deer broke away from the others, but I couldn't see where he went. Then, a small doe walked in from my right (opposite the direction of the other deer) and stopped below me under the big limb that was coming our from under the wooden platform.

I was thinking of shooting her as soon as she cleared the limb, but then I heard a grunt in front of me. It was the deer that had broken away from the others. I couldn't see him because was screened by some brush. When he grunted, the little doe turned tail and ran. He walked out from behind the brush and crossed the trail she had been on, then put his head down to sniff some Tink's I had squirted on the ground. He was only 7 yards away, so close that I didn't think I could draw without him seeing me. I figured my only chance was to draw when he lifted his head -- hoping he wouldn't notice my movement when his head was moving. (Maybe a little intoxication from the doe scent helped.)

He lifted his head, and looked my way while lip curling. Already at full draw, I placed the pin on his chest and let the arrow fly. I knew it was a good hit. He ran about 60 yards, then stopped to look back. He stood there for several seconds, then ran down the hill.

My arrow had slipped right through him. I found blood where I drilled him and my arrow was covered in blood. I walked to where I last saw him and saw that he was spraying blood out both sides and blood covered trees about 3-4 feet high. He was only about 50 yards away.

He looked like a mature deer. He weighed about 180 pounds, but had only a 4-point rack. I knew when I shot him that there was something a little odd about his rack. On one side, instead of the point rising, it dropped -- only droptine buck I've ever shot.

That was the first buck I ever grunted in, and my first success using doe urine.

I have a scan of the picture, but if I can find the print I'll scan and post it.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:14 am

Year: 2008
Bow: PSE Pro-Flite
Broadhead: Slick Trick 100 gr
Double Bull Ground Blind
Small buck

This was my first year bow hunting.  The bow was given to me by a good friend after he upgraded.  I took it to a local pro shop for help in setting up and getting tuned.

I hunt a small 15 acre parcel that is a travel corridor.  The small buck was chased in by combines taking out corn @ 3/4 mile to the south.

He stopped downwind of me 4 yards away.  After looking at me for a while in between dropping his head to munch on grass he finally started to walk in front of the blind.  I got a 7 yard quartering away shot.  It was a rush for sure.

After I heard him "crash" I was just waiting a while to go look.  It ended up the small place was lousy with bucks shortly thereafter.  It was an hour & a half before I could get out.

So I guess the farmers turned out to be the unusual circumstance that allowed me to take my first bow deer.

Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

eagle1953

Postby eagle1953 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:22 am

Year; 2009
Bow ; Darton
Broadhead; 2 BLADE RAGE
Tree Stand ; Summit climber

This is the first deer with a compound bow. October 13 8;00am he came down the tree line. Hit the grunt call he looked up and came right in to me.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:15 am

What year: 2008
Brand/Model Bow: Martin Mag Cat
Broadhead: 3 Blade Rage
Arrow: Aluminum Easton Fall Stalker
Treestand or Ground blind: Neither - standing next to my truck putting my camo on
Buck or Doe: Button buck

After work I picked my 7 yo daughter up from school and thought about going hunting for the afternoon. We get to the parking area and she puts her camo overalls on and I start putting my camo pants on. She takes a deep gasping breath and I look at her and she has her hand over her mouth and pointing to the edge of the woods behind the truck. With my camo pants around my ankles and bow in the back seat of the truck, I look to where she is pointing and I see a doe about 10 yards away behind the truck. I put my release on and knock an arrow and look at her, she seems to be alright so far. I draw the bow behind the cover of the truck and edge around the door and release the arrow over the bed of the truck, through the back ladder rack. I miss. I look over, and the doe had only gone about 10 yards to the right, still broadside, so I think, "if your that dumb to stand there and let me take another shot, I will". I connect. The doe runs about 50 yards and we loose sight of her. I look at my little girl and she is standing there looking at me with tears in her eyes and I think, "oh crap, what have I done?". I went over and hugged her and asked if she was OK and she looks up at me and starts saying "Oh my god we got one dad, we got one! We have to call mom!" We called mom and Andrea tells the story and my wife gets on the phone and tells me to repeat the story because Andrea was blabbering and she didn't understand a word she said. We let the doe sit for a bit while I finished putting on my camo and we started looking for her. We searched till night fall and decided to look for her in the morning. Andrea had to go to school the next day so I called a friend to help look. We found her in the swamp 20 yards in and the coyotes had eaten half of her. We dragged her out and as we were putting her into the truck to dispose of her I realize that that it was a button buck. I had to break the news to Andrea about the button buck and from that day on she has a great dislike for coyotes.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 am

What year: 1993 - October 23 (near Mt. Horeb, WI)
Brand/Model Bow: Cobra I think
Broadhead: Razorbak 5 (142 grain I think)
Treestand or ground blind:  Treestand
Buck or doe: 8pt buck

My first buck ever and first deer with a bow.

Paunch shot at 25 yards.  Hunched up and came within 5 yards of my stand.  Shot him again...and again too far back.  This was about 6pm that night. 

We found him ALIVE in his bed the next morning about 10am.  My dad jumped on him and finished him off with my knife!!  Sad, but true.

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:33 am

It was late October in 1997. I was hunting near a bedding area with my Champion Attack One in a home made 10 foot high wooden ladder stand. On my way to the stand for an afternoon hunt, I had to wait for a young buck to chase a doe out of the field next to the fencerow my stand was in before I could get to my stand. In the last half hour of daylight 3 does came walking up a path between me & the bedding area at less than 5 yards away. I let them pass, drew my bow, & sent my Vortex broadhead through both lungs of the largest doe which was now about 10 yards away. She made it no more than 40 yards before going down, still on the cut path.
Dave M.

CONLEY14

Postby CONLEY14 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:49 pm

I STILL FOR THE LIFE OF ME CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY PEOPLE CONTINUE TO SHOOT SMALL BUCKS, THEY ONLY TIME YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT IS IF ITS YOUR FIRST EVER BUCK BUT OTHER THAN THAT YOU SHOULDN'T SHOOT LITTLE BUCKS, AND THEN PEOPLE WONDER WHY THEY NEVER KILL OR SEE A BIG BUCK, ITS BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE KILLING THE SMALL ONES SO THEY CAN'T GROW UP TO BE BIG.I FORGOT OR IF YOU ARE A CHILD YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT TO.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:46 pm

I Think 1996
50yr old Kodiak Bear #45 Recurve...borrowed
Easton 2115 four fletched feathered arrows
4 blade 90gr Muzzy
Tree stand

It was late afternoon and the biggest buck I have EVER seen (in the wild)...trotted down a path 30yrds away and turned...I wasn't comfortable shooting that distance ..so I grunted and rattled ...but he went down into the gully 150yrds away and laid down....His rack looked like a Bush!....Just a couple of min later a lrg bodied and good mass 6pt appeared across the valley from me and to my right...I grunted but he just stood there...then this 7pt came trotting down the same path as the monster and he didn't turn...but came across in front of me headed for the bigger 6pt....the shot hit great and he turned and ran full board back to where he'd come from....I waited then got down and went home and ate...then Mr.B. and our son went with me to find him ...he'd gone 130 yrds

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:28 am

ORIGINAL: CONLEY14

I STILL FOR THE LIFE OF ME CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY PEOPLE CONTINUE TO SHOOT SMALL BUCKS, THEY ONLY TIME YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT IS IF ITS YOUR FIRST EVER BUCK BUT OTHER THAN THAT YOU SHOULDN'T SHOOT LITTLE BUCKS, AND THEN PEOPLE WONDER WHY THEY NEVER KILL OR SEE A BIG BUCK, ITS BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE KILLING THE SMALL ONES SO THEY CAN'T GROW UP TO BE BIG.I FORGOT OR IF YOU ARE A CHILD YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT TO.

First of all, that post has nothing to do with this thread.

Secondly, take the caps lock off next time.

Thirdly, that's your opinion.  Don't say it like it's the law for everyone else. 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:18 am

I started out hunting with a PSE Spirit that my Dad bought me for Christmas when I was 12.  My first season hunting was when i was 14.  througout my high school years i shot at and missed 1 giant buck and multiple other does and smaller bucks.  I actually connected with a 6 pt buck and a doe both in the season of my senior year, but i didn't recover either deer.  I didn't even hunt for the 3 days following each shot, but walked the woods searching for them...  during my college days drinking on the weekends took precedence over driving home to hunt( which i sometimes regret looking back), so i didn't spend any time in the timber from 2000-2005.  2006 i finally got permission to hunt a small patch of timber where i had moved to for my teaching job... saw some nice bucks, passed a shot at about 4 yards on a monster 8.. probably in the 140's, due to a bad angle and brush in the way.  Finally in 2007, after upgrading to a Ben Pearson Diesel HD split limb shooting some Eastman 3 blade mechanicals i picke dup at wal-mart i connected on a doe.  I had hunted well over 100 hours that season, and it wasn't until the Sunday after thanksgiving that i scored.  I was sleeping on the couch at my parents house (my fiance rated the bed, and my parents wouldn't let us sleep in the same room).  My little bro woke me up at 4 am and asked if i wanted to go hit up the timber.  i figured it would be the last chance i had for awhile to hunt with him, so i stumbled off the couch and showered up.  we hit a small patch of timber just about 5 minutes away from home.  I remember it being very still, and just a bit foggy.  There was a really heavy frost on everything, and the temps were upper 20's.  i was glad i had my heavy coveralls and face mask with me.  He hiked in to his stand and i hiked in to mine, a 15' ladder stand in a corner point of timber that stuck out into the cut cornfield behind me.  I had not seen a single deer within 150 yards that year so far, despite the huge amounts of time i'd put in, so i was feeling pretty discouraged.  Just as the sun was beginning to burn off the fog, the silence of the morning erupted into a huge amount of noise coming from off to my right.  I stood up and looked out into the field to see not 1, not 2, but 8 does coming down the rows of stubble at a good clip.  I grabbed my bow (with my hand warmer still in my hand, since i couldn't find my gloves), and waited.  I drew as soon as they entered the timber 40 yards away and started picking openings.  The lead doe turned towards me once she hit the main trail, so i let down to see where they were headed... when i was sure they were moving my way, i drew again and held for what seemed like an eternity as all 8 of those ladies trotted literally right to the base of my stand and circled up in the opening in front of me... talk about rags to riches... no deer all season, and now i had 8 to choose from.  All does, so i picked out the one with the biggest body and centered my pin on the vitals... she was roughly 8 yards away, so when i shot i could barely hear a time delay between shooting and the impact of the arrow...  She took off and the other deer scattered... if i hadn't been so pumped about finally connecting i could have shot another doe that stopped just about 10 yards off to my left, but she took off by the time i noticed her.  Called up Dad to come help us track, but we didn't need to.  That low-price broadhead sliced through 2 ribs on the way in, took out both lungs, and sliced through 1 rib on the way out.  she made it less than 30 yards before she piled up.

come to find out these deer passed along the trail about 50 yards from my bros stand, heading at an angle away from me... He started meowing and hissing like a cat and growling like a dog at them, which spooked them out into the field and back into the timber right under my stand...  totally gotta give my bro an assist on my first successful bow kill... I arrowed the buck in my profile pic the next year, but that one was all me.

have a pic, but not on this cpu, may post one later if i remember

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features