Dan's Question of the Week: First Archery Deer

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
hunt4fun

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: First Archery Deer

Postby hunt4fun » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:05 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

ORIGINAL: CONLEY14

I STILL FOR THE LIFE OF ME CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY PEOPLE CONTINUE TO SHOOT SMALL BUCKS, THEY ONLY TIME YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT IS IF ITS YOUR FIRST EVER BUCK BUT OTHER THAN THAT YOU SHOULDN'T SHOOT LITTLE BUCKS, AND THEN PEOPLE WONDER WHY THEY NEVER KILL OR SEE A BIG BUCK, ITS BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE KILLING THE SMALL ONES SO THEY CAN'T GROW UP TO BE BIG.I FORGOT OR IF YOU ARE A CHILD YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT TO.

First of all, that post has nothing to do with this thread.

Secondly, take the caps lock off next time.

Thirdly, that's your opinion.  Don't say it like it's the law for everyone else. 

I Agree with Patriot. Until the rules state that everyone must hunt the way you do, don't expect everyone to. On this forum, as long as you kill your deer legally and have fun doing it, we're happy for you. If you have some gripe with your neighbors hunting practices, take it up with them. Theres no need to degrade someone else's hunt, and I don't appreciate it. GOOD JOB TO EVERYONE ON THEIR GREAT FIRST DEER WITH A BOW STORY! Keep 'em coming!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:41 am

What year:  1990
Brand/Model Bow: The first Allen Compound made
Broadhead: I think Thunderhead 125's
Treestand or ground blind: Natural ground blind made of pine branches
Buck or doe: Doe

I was very, very young.  Probably too young, but I distinctly remember my Dad letting me use his first compound bow.  I was enthralled and excited to use it, as it was the first of it's kind and was the very bow he used to kill his first buck.  In any case, he dropped the poundage down for little ole me and set me up in the back portion of the property in a red pine branch makeshift blind with a small window looking at a 5 tree apple orchard about 20 yards away.  He wasn't with me in the blind, but was watching from the house with the binocs.  I was extremely nervous if I recall, especially since I knew he was watching the entire scene unfold, but I managed to pull back the bow, line up the sight, and remember to just concentrate on a specific tuft of hair behind the front shoulder when the doe stepped out to snack on some freshly fallen apples.  I did so, and executed a perfect shot.  Been doing the same routine every time since then for shot placement.  He always said, never look at the head, take one quick look to determine if you will shoot then focus on that tuft of hair.  For that, I thank him, cause it certainly prevents the buck fever from setting in.  Anyway, back to the story.  The rather small doe ran about 75 yards and expired.  My father immediately came running out and congratulated me on my first bow success with open arms and a few high fives if I recall.  I'll never forget the smile both he and I had on our faces, nor the speed at which he came running from the house after the whole thing played out. He's gone now, but that memory will stick with me until the very day I pass on as well.  I was fortunate enough to be coached in the dressing out procedure prior and we ate tasty tenderloin that night and all was well with the world.  I still have that bow and I think about that time and my dad every instance I look at it.  Someday, I will pull it out again and maybe do a tribute hunt of some sort with it.  I can hardly type just thinking about it, but it's a good memory none the less.   
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am

Date- Oct.1st. 1976
Bow- Bear Whitetail Hunter
Broadhead- 4 blade Savora
Tree Stand- Baker climbing stand
90# cow horn in velvet
The arrow broke his neck, but he didn't die until I cut his throat and he bled to death.
Stump sittin since 1981

Floating Debris

Postby Floating Debris » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:54 pm

year: 2009
Bow: Mission Eliminator
BH: Rage 2 blade
Button Buck

Last bit of shooting light, I had been watching a couple of does wander around behind my stand all afternoon. I thought that if they were still around and presenting me a shot, I was going to take one to fill the freezer. Low and behold, one of them shows up, I draw, hit it hard, watch the mule kick and sit back with a quiet fist pump. After waiting another 20-30 minutes in the dark and texting all my nearby friends, I got down to start the track with a buddy. I was slightly disappointed to see that my doe pulled the switcheroo and turned out to be an entirely different BB. I tell you what though, it was a good shot and the backstraps were delish!!

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:29 pm

Bow- Martin Saber
Broadhead- Rage 3 Blade
Ladder tree stand
I just got my first bow kill this past halloween. I'm only 14 and this was my first year. I saw this buck the previos day, but he was on the other side of the fence, and I couldn't get him to come over. I thought i'd never see him again. Surprisingly the next morning I saw him again, but this time he was following a doe right toward me. He eventually got to me but when I ranged him, guess what?, dead battery in the rangefinder. I had an extra battery in my back-pack, but I was shaking like crazy and I didn't have time to switch them so I just guessed the range. I ended up grazing him but he made the mistake of turning to look back after running and stopping at a spot that I ranged earlier. I took the 40 yard shot and hit him good. He ran about 60 yards and bedded so I backed out and waited. My dad wasn't with me because he doesn't bow hunt so I called him and told him to start driving up to me. (I was hunting at my grandma's in MI, we live in IN.) He eventually got to me and we started trailing my buck. I had told my dad it was a doe, so he was really surprised when he saw a rack at the end of the blood trail. At first he thought it was someone else's deer, but then I told him I really shot a buck. He was dead right where he had bedded. He's my biggest buck so far- my first archery kill, definitaly not my last. He's also my biggest "doe" ever. lol.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features