Where do you keep your cell phone when you hunt?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Ben Sobieck

Where do you keep your cell phone when you hunt?

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:35 am

Here are the results from the home page poll. Seems most people keep their phones on silent in their pockets. What about you?

Woods Walker

RE: Where do you keep your cell phone when you hunt?

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:46 am

90% of the time I leave it back in camp. Where I hunt, in most of the places I wander I can't get cell coverage anyway....which IMO, is a GOOD thing!

When I go on a hunting trip, I tell the people that work for me to,

'Pretend I'm dead, and handle anything that comes up with that in mind. Just try to get a hold of me if someone DIES....but on second thought, why? There's nothing I can do about it at that point anyway.'

The LAST thing I want on me when I hunt is an electric leash!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:10 am

I keep mine in my pocket and on Vibrate for several reasons , aside from the obvious...

- In case I am injured and alone I can call for help
- Download weather reports in the event the weather seems to be shifting or if I plan to hunt a different area in the afternoon
- The backlighting has saved me on a number of occasions when I either forgot my flashlight, it died and I forgot spare batteries...I was actually able to find a cotter pin for my climber that dropped to the ground, my flashlight batteries died so it was the next best thing...without it my hunting plans would have been shot that morning
- I can keep in touch with and check in on my hunting buddies via text message...no need for two way handhelds or to talk.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:14 pm

I keep mine in my pocket on vibe . We were talking about this one time and a guy said he leaves his in his backpack so he will have it in his stand . I asked what he would do when his pack is in the stand and he's laying on the ground . Talk about a blank stare !
I hunt alone most of the time so the Cell Phone is a security blanket for me . When we hunt my son's property in the hills , we use two way radios .
Semper Fi !

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:32 pm

In a pocket on vibe...depending on the stand, and who else is around, it might be in front breast pocket so I can get to it and text back and forth with friends or if bow hunting probably in a side cargo pocket of my pants ....just so I will have it in case of an emergency.  I bow hunted tonight and the thing was going off in my pocket with 6 does standing between 15 and 25 yds from me...was kinda cool.  Except the caller was "The Bride".  She was wanting me to pick up supper....She really didn't buy that I was trying to get it that very moment![:D]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:35 pm

You have just listed reasons 1 through 10 why I don't carry mine in the woods!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Yep buts its ok as long as I don't forget and leave it on "loud".  Last year a doe tried to go 4 directions at once when "Sweet Home Alabama" started playing directly above her head!  Besides "The Bride" is an understanding sort....she has to be!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:22 pm

I"ll keep mine in my outside pocket on either vibrate or silent.  Somewhere reachable!
QDM!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:25 pm

mine stays at home. Im in the woods to relax and enjoy nature. Not be bugged by my phone, that happens all week long.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

2Poppa

Postby 2Poppa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:12 am

I keep mine in an inside shirt pocket on vibe and place it inside of a plastic newspaper bag. I cut off the top part of the newspaper bag so I don't have to reach so far down in the bag to retreive it. That way it keeps my body heat from allowing moisture to collect inside the phone.

I camp down in a small valley at night where there is no reception. The next day, as I slowly stalk to the top of the hill, I feel the vibrations from the night before texts, from my loved ones. The only reception I get, are on the very highest hills.

At times, when one of us scores on a deer, I'll picture text the trophy home to the kids. They love that and the antiscipation of us coming home with the pick-up full of venison ...

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features