Where do you keep your cell phone when you hunt?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
dtrain56

RE: Where do you keep your cell phone when you hunt?

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:34 pm

in my cabin, no signal, but even if i did it would still be sitting in my cabin

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:39 pm

I know it's to each his own, and I understand the safety issues, but I guess I must be a dinosaur, because I truly don't understand why anyone who's an avid deer hunter needs to be "entertained" while they're in the woods. For me, just BEING there is entertainment enough, and entertainment that you can't get anywhere else for that matter. No, the days that I can spend in the woods are all too few and precious as it is, that I would want to ruin it with a device that constantly reminds and connects me to the BS that I'm in the woods to escape in the first place.

Maybe it's a generational thing, as most of you under 40 were brought up in an era of video games, Walkmans, 70 channel cable TV, IPIDS, blackberries, strawberries, Apples and other fruit, and a 24/7 "need" for external stimulation.

I own a business, and live almost every waking second of my day tied to that damn cell phone, and all the stress that comes with it. It's the LAST thing I want to see when I hunt!

Signed....Mr. Curmudgeon [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:01 pm

I keep mine in the top pocket of my safety vest. I carry it for safety, but also I don't wear a watch so I use it to keep track of time. I've found it to come in pretty handy for dragging help.Image

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:09 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I know it's to each his own, and I understand the safety issues, but I guess I must be a dinosaur, because I truly don't understand why anyone who's an avid deer hunter needs to be "entertained" while they're in the woods. For me, just BEING there is entertainment enough, and entertainment that you can't get anywhere else for that matter. No, the days that I can spend in the woods are all too few and precious as it is, that I would want to ruin it with a device that constantly reminds and connects me to the BS that I'm in the woods to escape in the first place.

Maybe it's a generational thing, as most of you under 40 were brought up in an era of video games, Walkmans, 70 channel cable TV, IPIDS, blackberries, strawberries, Apples and other fruit, and a 24/7 "need" for external stimulation.

I own a business, and live almost every waking second of my day tied to that damn cell phone, and all the stress that comes with it. It's the LAST thing I want to see when I hunt!

Must be a generational thing...Old fart! [:D]
QDM!

Floating Debris

Postby Floating Debris » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:12 am

You can download "Buck Grunt ringtones".  Wonder if it would spook them?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:50 pm

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Must be a generational thing...Old fart! [:D]

Hey now! That'd be MISTER Old Fart to you!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:33 am

I completely understand what Woods Walker is saying but I bring mine just for safety purposes.

I got a friend into hunting last year and while getting out of the truck I saw he had a head phone. I'm like "What the?" but it was so he could watch movies on his blackberry...I almost wanted to say, why even go to the woods then? Its about enjoying the outdoors for the limited time you have there. He is missing out on all of that and also the excitement of hearing a twig break or the leaves crunching as a deer is coming in. For some reason it really bothered me then but hey, this is America and you can do whatever you want to.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:28 pm

I take mine with me whether Im hunting with my brother and girlfriend to communicate with each other as to whats "walking by" or when im alone in case something does happen to me. Its on vibrate and my hunting partners for the day and girlfriend are the only ones I answer. Definately not for entertainment purposes!
Venison - the other red meat

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:13 pm

I keep mine in the front pocket of my bibs.   On silent just in case I need help I won't have to wait for it to boot up.  Plus on silent people can call all they want..  I will only know when I check the time or get back to the truck/house! 

A side note: I work in 911/dispatch and the GPS in the phones is good to not so good... it seems to vary from provider to provider, and other conditions on how good.  Imagine how tough it is find someone when the only location you have is a few hundred to thousands of meters from a cell tower. Even when a provider is contacted for an emergency "ping" on a phone, they don't always get an exact location... at least they give you a directional sector to start from [8|]

Have a plan for an emergency.   My plan is this... If needed, I will call 911 and have the responders meet my wife at our house (if hunting there) or I will have them meet my parents or other nearby family (if hunting on that land).   I make sure they can show anyone needing to cut down the dope on the rope or extract me, where my stand is.   Maybe I am overly safe, but I have a wife and 2 kiddos who depend on me coming home at the end of the hunt! 

Stay safe out there.

Happy huting!

John

Hawgnman

Postby Hawgnman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:10 am

It's turned off when I'm at my hunt club. It will try to connect and I'll have a dead battery on the trip home. Closer in places it's on silent in my pocket.
Grace Happens

Jim /*
http://www.racksnspurs.com/

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features