Where do you keep your cell phone when you hunt?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
upsman

RE: Where do you keep your cell phone when you hunt?

Postby upsman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:18 pm

I never use to carry my phone with me either, but one year my ATV was having some ignition issues and I was going to be about 3 miles from camp so I threw mine in my pack to save a possible walk out that night. ATV started but on the way back I had an accident that broke my ribs and back. Called my buddies at camp and they came to the rescue. Now I never leave camp without it. It's in my pocket on the way in and out, but on my stand I've found a great place is in my handwarmer muff.

gregbuilt

Postby gregbuilt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:35 pm

my son and i communicate via text while we hunt and it has paid off time and time again, there fore the front pocket on vibrate is the norm. i must say the need to carry it really hit home after reading an artical in d&dh about a guy who spent many hours and over night in frigid temperatures because he could not get to two very important tools. want to guess which two tools im talking about? ok i'll tell you. 1-a knife and 2- a cell phone. and by the way a text will usually get though when it is impossible to actually call.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I know this is an older thread but I just read it and can't believe most of it. First, I completely agree with Woods on this. I don't want to be bothered while I'm hunting. I could care less about what my buddies are doing while I'm hunting. Anyone I need to talk to can wait until I'm in a place to call them.

Second, I am sure that most of you practice some type of scent control, right? A cell phone is the biggest cesspool of human odor you can have, other than your under ware, on the outside of your body! You talk on it for hours on end getting your breath and spit on it. You hold it up to your ear and get sweat among other things on it. Then you go through this long ritual of making sure your body, clothes and everything else are scent free only to put a cell phone where it will be "easy to get to". Come on!

I have had this discussion with friends about things they take or wear to the woods. Some spend all this time to get scent free then wear a belt that they wear everyday to hold up their scent free pants! Or a hat that hasn't been washed in years! There are a number of things that we don't think about holding human odor and take with us to the woods every time we go.

Oh, spray that cell phone down with scent killer spray! It works every time! LOL

metrx

Postby metrx » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:48 am

On my person on silent.  Radios sometimes dont work due to weather, terrain and/or distance with people in my hunting party.  the cell is for the "God Forbid" accident/emergency in the woods.

riverrat

Postby riverrat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:12 am

[font="comic sans ms"]I keep mine on me or in my back pack on silent for safety because I do hunt alone. Secondly I don't wear a watch and here in Louisiana legal shooting hours are 30 min. pass sunset so I'm able to check the time at dark.[/font]

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:24 am

Mine goes in the chest pocket of my bibs on silent. I hunt alone and it also serves at my time piece. If my wife found out that I were leaving it in the truck she would kill me, I think it has something to do with her wanting me to make it home if something were to happen. Also with little one running around I like that she could get a hold of me incase of an emergency at home. We did have to over the fact that this meant my version of an emergency (blood, bones, fire) and not hers which was a stain in the carpet.

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:31 pm

In my chest pocket.  It's on silent mode, in a plastic bag to keep it scent proof.  Yessss, I'd love to leave it behind so that I may fully enjoy nature, listen to the woods come to live, etc...., BUT just like we love to have any advantage available to beat deer's noses (scent spray, wafers, carbon suits, etc.), the cell phone is a great advantage to be available to what I FEEL IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN hunting - my wife and children.  Emergencies do happen, and if the cell phone can help, then there you have it.  Besides, if you are a big hunter, other hunters won't be bugging you, co-workers, your boss, and/or employees should know better.  Finally, if you are using the phone for other reasons, stay home. 
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

longbeards

Postby longbeards » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:25 pm

I keep it in my top left shirt pocket. Easy to get to. Easy to taunt your hunting buddies by letting them know you just put the smack down on a big 8 and sending them the pics. [:D]

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:50 am

In my chest pocket on silent (In a baggy). It is strictly for safety, one for me and second for my dad he is getting up there in years and he has a reputation of falling of ladders. Not to mention he has a bad knee and I end up gutting and dragging his deer out, it is the least I can do, for all that he has done for me.

NC Deer Hunter

Postby NC Deer Hunter » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:45 am

Clipped to the front of my bibs on vibrate. Me & my hunting buddies comunicate with texts

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features