Banned from hunting for two years over permit!

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
SHKYBoonie

RE: Banned from hunting for two years over permit!

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:44 pm

4HISGLORY, I am from TN and I had heard of your story. Many of us had talked about it around the camp fire this year. I just can't believe that they would hold you responsible for the actions of a licensed outfitter. One of my buddies lives in Springfield, TN and said he knows either you or you Father. He is the one that was telling us about what had happened.

I had a deer taken from me several years ago in KY by a game and fish officer that was just trying to make an example out of me. I had license and everything was legal except they use the Tel-check system. When he came out to our camp and checked us he took my deer, a 168" 12 pt. because it hadn't been called in yet. We didn't have cell service in that area. I tried to explain to him that I was going to call it in as soon as I could get service. It didn't matter. He took my deer and gave me a ticket for an illegal deer. I went to court and the judge saw things the officer's way. They charged me a fine, added court cost because I wanted to fight it in court and kept my deer. Not quite the same thing as what happened to you but as you can see, they get away with what they want to.

Hope you can find a way to fight this and I wish I could help! Also, thank you for your sacrifice for my freedom! It can't be repaid!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:21 pm

I hope that someone that can give you legal advise contacts you...it just doesn't sound right
Thank you for your sacrifice and hopes for a better out come......

As far as state hunting bans...I know NY has joined that list of states that if you are banned in one state than they can look you up and ban you in ours as well....

4hisglory

Postby 4hisglory » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:20 pm

The agent, Mark Webb, said if she wanted them she'd have to take him to civil court. Not sure on what grounds, but it's not right since she was found not guilty.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:42 am

Call his boss, call his bosses boss, then send a nicely worded letter to your state senators and representatives, certified mail return receipt requested.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:11 am

Too bad. Seems like after talking to you and your mom any decent official would know you had no idea of the criminal behavior of your Outfitter. I had two DNR officers try to bully me once. They pulled the,"good cop/bad cop rutine. The one officer actually lied to me, to try to get information out of me. There are good guys out there, but also some bad. You have to be careful about Outfitters too. I had one that couldn't find my deer. I finally found it after it had gone bad. They had a tracking dog too, but obviously knew nothing about tracking a wounded deer. They admitted most of their hunting was over the hood of a truck. I was the first bowhunter they had.They offered me nothing for the trouble, no venison,no cheaper hunt, nothin. I will pray God works things out for ya.

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:28 pm

What happened to you makes me sick. I think that the advice about calling the NRA and writing the senetors would be a good idea, and the fact that agent says you would have to take him to civil court does not sound right to me either. I hope this works out the best it can for you seing as how they already tarnished the memory for you. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for your service!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:30 am

Really sorry to hear that.  Even though I'm sure some fault lies in the person shooting the deer and making sure he has the right permits, this is just to bad.  You should have trust in the outfitter.  I've never gone through one before, but will check and double check on the permits and tags, references, etc.  Hope it gets better for you!
QDM!

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:11 pm

4HisGlory, this is making me sick.

I have two suggestions to fill your time:

1. Get a camera, and spend your time filming some deer at least if you cant shoot them.

2. Like someone else said, contact the agents superior. continue to write letters and make phone calls. Who knows, if you pester them enough, you may get your way.

Or just to spite the bastards, book with an outfitter in Mexico, they have some big deer south of the border i believe. Or Canada[:D]

SHKYBoonie, thats crazy...If I were put in that situation, I may very well become a fugitive.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features