Public land hunting????

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
JOEL

RE: Public land hunting????

Postby JOEL » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:07 pm

gee i thought suffolk was about as downstate as you could get??????
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:19 pm

ORIGINAL: JOEL

gee i thought suffolk was about as downstate as you could get??????

Zing, thonk, ouch ... hey, you of all people should know barbed arrows are illegal in NYS. [>:]

Yes, technically you're correct. However, inasmuch as Suffolk is the 2nd largest county in NYS with the largest amount of farmland, the most registered pickup trucks, deer, fox, coyote etc. & a philosophy closer to Warren County ... we tend to forget our actual geographic location ... but that's changing very quickly; as it is for Westchester.

Now help me pull that well deserved arrow out of my back.

Croz73PA

Postby Croz73PA » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:04 pm

Steepest thickest spot you can find.   There will be deer.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:21 am

dont forget all those millon dollar houses and all that posted property pleanty of attitude too[;)] I just get annoyed at that "downstate" comment.not everyone lives in the sticks and just cuz i live in the city dont mean i cant hunt,its painting people with a broad brush,like racism.IM NOT SAYING YOU ARE for the record before this gets blow outa proportion.I've been hearing comments like that my whole life"city boy"flatlander" downstater" its aggrevating just cuz ya live in a trailer and drive a pickup doent make ya a better hunter just makes ya poor.some people live in the city because thats where the jobs are and the drive to go hunting on their days off from work.Sorry i had to vent
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:51 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

dont forget all those millon dollar houses and all that posted property pleanty of attitude too[;)] I just get annoyed at that "downstate" comment.not everyone lives in the sticks and just cuz i live in the city dont mean i cant hunt, its painting people with a broad brush ...

If you re-read my 10/04/09 post ... you'll see that I agree with you 100%.

However, if you've ever hunted public land in the Catskills ... you know what I said was true about many city boys ... but certainly not the majority.

And finally, just in case you're picturing me as one of the "mountain boys" from the motion picture DELIVERANCE ... I was born & raised in Brooklyn & didn't leave until I graduated from PUNY.

If you read [THE HUNT!] >> Off Topic >> A little something about yourselves.... I think you'll get a little better idea of who I am, as well as many other Forum members here. YOU might want to add to that thread ... I hope many others do too.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:39 am

pm sent to ya

B3N1706

Postby B3N1706 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:16 pm

didn't take the time to read what everyone else wrote, but I'm guessing it's pretty close to what I'm going to say. Almost all the hunting I do is on public land. If you're bow hunting then hunt edges of the thickets on the heaviest deer trails. If you are gun hunting then almost the same advice, find the areas with the thickest cover and sit ALL DAY the heaviest trails going through them. Also don't forget to play the wind. Typically you won't have much competition in bow season and in gun season other hunters' movement can work to your advantage if you're patient and smart. Good luck, it's always fun to get a nice public land deer, sometimes they can feel more rewarding. 

Cgull

Postby Cgull » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:01 am

I try to hunt public land. I went to my stand an hour before daylight opening day of gun season, there were 3 hunters in the first of 4 of (my) stands I went too. too lazy to scout and set their own stands, just hunt someone else's. From now on all my stands will be better hidden, lock ons will have the platforms locked to the seat or tree. No one is supposed to drive their atv's in these areas but non the less all gun season there are atv (with no mufflers) up and down the mtns.
we should insist the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn`t an American at all

BlueDuck

Postby BlueDuck » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:19 am

I have hunted public land most of my life with good success.  Its still pretty easy to be by yourself here in north Idaho.  We have lots of public land not a lot of people, although thats changing fast. 

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:49 am

usually i look for land in a county known to yield big bucks. i look for the least accessible management area, as far as being able to get way off any roads accessible by vehicle, at least 2 miles. then i got to aerials. then the footwork.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features