2010 Rut Calendar

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
shaman

2010 Rut Calendar

Postby shaman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:39 am

I just got my 2010 D&DH calendar.  WHEW!  It's a good thing I got a college education.  It's complicated to say the least.  I don't mean the calendar itself. I find it indispensable.  It's next year's season.  ZOWIE!

I would recommend everyone get one of these calendars and start planning well ahead of time.  If you don't want a physical calendar or they get sold out, there's been a PDF form that D&DH has made available.  This year it's a must.

Would somebody with a closer knowledge of things help me make sense of next year's rut?  What year is this most similar to? That will give me a good start.   Step me through this thing.  I'm in the North. 

BTW: Great pictures.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

SHKYBoonie

RE: 2010 Rut Calendar

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:33 am

Haven't got mine yet, but if you figure things out before I do get it please let me know. If your having trouble with it, it will probably be a jumbled up mess to me! LOL

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:14 am

I have my new 2010 D & DH Calender . A lot of excellent information and as always , some great deer pics .
Semper Fi !

metrx

Postby metrx » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:43 am

I know alot of research has been done over the years on the phases of the rut with regard to the "harvest moon" or "fall equinox moon"...but its left me scratching my head often.  Ive spoken about it with other so called 'experts' at seminars and Ive had some actually laugh, making me believe I was correct all along. 

First, the rut needs to be specifically defined.  If you want to define it as the entire mating season, well then there are phases of it.  If you want to define it as the time of the mating season when the mating is actually occurring...well, you probably wont see much "chasing" at that point.  That being said... 

My experience (I live and hunt in NY) shows me the rutting period is always around beginning to mid November, year in and year out.  In fact, if I had only a small window to hunt, I'd be in the woods from around November 4-8.  If other conditions are right...this seems to be a great time to see lots of deer and big bucks chasing does.  There are always variations with regard to a cold front moving in, temperature drops...etc that will kick off the "rut'.  But Ive never seen one as early as in say, early October or December as the calendars have predicted in past years.  Anyone else feel this way??? 

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:47 am

This is the first year I've ordered one and it's awesome. Our hunters moon isn't until 11/21/10, we're going to have a late rut this year. I'm pumped!

I know what you're saying, I think what I've found is that it seems to be later in previous years compared to what's been predicting. If I remember right prime breeding will be about 10 days after the hunters moon. We've had warmer deer season than in the past so I've wondered if it has to do with the higher average temps making it later. Also, like most areas we have more does than bucks so it may be lasting longer too.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:39 am

What I do know from previous years is that when the rutting moon is this late, there's a bit of a confusion with the deer. Some get worked up early, in October.    Others don't get fired up until November.

AH!  Found something I missed the first time, right on page 1 of the description:

1)  The rut will be similar to 2005.  That was a good year for me-- weird, but good.
2)  The full moon in November will be as late as it ever gets, producing as weird a rut as we get-- about once per decade.

I'd still like some interpretation.

RubyCreekHunter

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:45 am

there's been a PDF form that D&DH has made available.
I can`t find this for this years calender...i see last years is available, but not the current year??

scotman

Postby scotman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 am

ORIGINAL: RubyCreekHunter

there's been a PDF form that D&DH has made available.
I can`t find this for this years calender...i see last years is available, but not the current year??

Yea I don't think they released a pdf form of this years yet that I seen. I see the 2009 calendar your speaking of in the store.

I ordered my calender last week and it is on the way looking forward to gleaning from it.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:31 am

Corey!  Dan!  You see this?

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features