Football vs. Hunting

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Patriot

Football vs. Hunting

Postby Patriot » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:19 pm

I see the D&DH poll asking us if we'd give up a day of hunting to watch football.

I voted no.  At this point in my life, watching football gets less important each year.

I suppose if I lived on my hunting property and was able to hunt more often, missing a day here and there to watch football would be ok.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Ifishandhunt

RE: Football vs. Hunting

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Same thing here. I voted no. I have been an avid football fan (Go Giants!) since I was a kid but my love for the outdoors and deer hunting specifically has become my passion. I am still a huge football fan, but it has taken a back seat to deer hunting.

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:36 am

Here in Jersey, we haven't had to worry about this until this year, being that Sunday bow hunting was just passed. Although I love watching football, I love hunting much, much more!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:12 am

I thought it was a great question. I voted "depends" but I was dying to explain. Thank's Patriot!

There are few things I enjoy more than high school and college football. I was a decent player in HS and even played a little at the small college level. I am small and slow but I loved the game so much I was able to create some oppertunities out of sheer desire. Back in those days football came first.

That changed when I picked up a bow in my early 20's. The fall woods became an addiction for me and NOTHING could keep me from them. Yes, the Iowa Hawkeys have made me late to the stand on a few occaisions but I have never totally missed because of them.

But this is my son's senior year and he is a two-way starter on a 3-0 team. He is so happy when he is playing ball and it has done so much for him as a person. I will not miss a single snap of the ball this year and while I hate the thought of missing the rut, I hope they make a playoff run deep into November!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:55 am

Also no, unless it was a very, very special game.  And none of those come to mind recently.  I suppose if the Chiefs made it to the AFC championship game I'd miss a day of hunting.  But that ain't likely.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:36 am

This question is unfair to a Cincinnati Bengal fan.  After yesterday's showing, I'm down here in my fan cave doing the Icky Shuffle and lighting candles at my shrine to Greg Cook trying to make sense of it all.

Oh! The Humanity!

The fact of the matter is that the Cincinnati Bengals and their overall record are probably the reason I'm a deer hunter.  I generally don't worry about how the games go. I can go hunting and come back Sunday night assured that the Earth continues to spin on its axis and the Bengals have lost.  I usually don't really even get all that interested in pro ball until after deer season ends.  If you're a Bengals' fan, there really isn't that much you worry about except how bad the Cleveland Browns lose, or whether Rothlisberger gets injured. Over Thanksgiving, I used to watch to see how bad Kitna was going to lose, but that was just for old time's sake.  I hear the Cowboys have him now-- good luck with that!

On the other hand, part of my deer hunting experience is wrapped up in those long rides back to town, listening to the Bengals lose on the radio.  It kind of went well with bow hunting-- another weekend of getting skunked, another trip back with an unfilled tag on my back, 3 hours of driving in the rain listening to Phil Samp drone on about how Ken Anderson just isn't up to par and how the defense just can't quite gel.  Horst Muhlman shanks another off to the side and another march to the 35 yard line ends in shame. The wipers need to be replaced.  I listen to a few more 4-and-outs and then decide to stop for fried chicken. When I come out, the game's over and I don't even care about the final score.

. . . but then again, I it could be worse.  I could have been born in Detroit.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:10 am

Being a lifelong Bengals fan, it was pretty easy NO for me. The exception would be if by some miracle the Bengals would make it to the playoffs. I may miss an afternoon of hunting, but I really don't see that happening.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:12 am

I choose huntin over watchin a bunch of men in tights any day[8D]
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:38 am

I would not give up a day in the woods for watching football.  I have always been the type that would rather be doing the sport than watching. 

I have even given up chances to go to games let alone watch them on TV.  I must say that the invention of DVR's has made it a lot easier though.  Just have to get home with out hearing the score on the radio (not easy when the drive home on Sundays is 4 hours). 
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:40 am

I could care less about football. And lesser all the time. Most of the players are big fat overpaid babies and/or outright criminals. The small number who are legitimate athletes and human beings are constantly overshadowed by the rest. And with a season that lasts over half the year. Team sports in general has become the new god in our schools too. No longer something played for fun on a part-time basis and to help build character. Now, practice must pre-empt family time, major holidays, church, hunting, any other activity that might compete. If our kids want to participate, they must simply give up everything else. If we want to attend a major sports event, the ticket prices are beyond ridiculous.
 Football could disappear tomorow, no problem

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features