Football vs. Hunting

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Sailfish

RE: Football vs. Hunting

Postby Sailfish » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:05 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I see the D&DH poll asking us if we'd give up a day of hunting to watch football.

I came back early to catch the second half of my alma mater beat FSU saturday.

It was worth it.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:59 pm

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I guess it's about time I admit my ignorance. I haven't been able to understand this thread. What is this thing called "football"?

Steve

I saw one of those once -- actually quite a few times. I used to hunt rabbits with my beagle on the hill above my high school most nights after school let out. I had to cross a big field, and the field had some pipes stuck in the ground at each end, about 100 yards apart. (Would have made a nice place to sight in my deer rifle.) There were a lot of the big guys from the school fighting over that oblong ball. Once in a while they'd throw it up in the air, or kick it. One of those times I thought it was a grouse, and almost took a shot at it, but it already looked wounded. Funny thing -- by the end of the week those guys must have gotten tired of fighting over it, because they were never there on Friday nights. Maybe that's when they hunted.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:23 pm

I saw one of those once ... There were a lot of the big guys from the school fighting over that oblong ball. Once in a while they'd throw it up in the air, or kick it. One of those times I thought it was a grouse, and almost took a shot at it

That's one of the reasons they wear helmets ... [8D]

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:41 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Being a lifelong Bengals fan, it was pretty easy NO for me. The exception would be if by some miracle the Bengals would make it to the playoffs. I may miss an afternoon of hunting, but I really don't see that happening.

If the Bengals make it to the playoffs, it'll be after rifle season in KY ends, so I'm in.  My freezer will be full.  Let's ask D&DH to send us press badges and we'll cover it for the magazine.  Heck, Paul Brown and the Cincinnati Bengals have done more to promote deer hunting in the Tri-State region than any other group I know of.  After a few losses like yesterday all you want to do is go hide in the woods.

Besides, when the Bengals make the playoffs again, I want to be at PBS to watch the pigs flying out of everyone's butts and the Ben-Gals doing handstands and acting as human fountains with a shower of nickels pouring out-- enough to feed all the poor children of Hamilton County AND pay off the debt for the two lousy stadiums we didn't need AND the #@#$@#$ Freedom Center.

I especially want to go to the SuperBowl where the Bengals finally win.  They'll have Elvis fly down on a saucer for the halftime show.

When the game is  overy Todd Rundgren will walk to the center of the field and play a monster guitar riff (Yeah, I know he's from Cleveland, but even he won't want to miss this!) and it will cause a large crack to open up in the middle of the field and lava will come out.  Meatloaf will drive his motorcycle out of the flames and drop Sam Kinison off to present the Vince Lombardi Trophy.  I can't WAIT for that monologue-- can you imagine the material he's been getting down there? 

I can't wait!!! 

Well shaman the Bengals are in the playoffs. At the time of my first post I didn't foresee my muzzleloader season being interrupted but here I set the opening day of muzzleloader season waiting on the Bengals to come on.

Wish I would have gotten the D&DH press badge to see the flying pigs and Ben-Gals fountains showering nickels.

WHO DEY!!
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:11 am

Our hunting season has been over for some time but I generally don't hunt Sundays . I go to 8:30 mass and at 1 pm I am in front of the TV watching football .
Semper Fi !

metrx

Postby metrx » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:57 am

I'm a huge Giants fan and play in (3) Fantasy Football Leagues but there's no way I turn down a day of hunting to watch football.  Even if you hunt all day on Sunday, you still have the 8:30 game at night and Monday Night Football.  If that doesnt work for you, there's always DVR.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Should've headed for a treestand this evening.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Tough break, Brad, I watched the game. Rookie coach AND quarterback? Who would of that. Maybe next year though, right? I'm a Packer fan here in Wisconsin, they play tomorrow. Hopefully I wont be in your shoes this time tomorrow, but we'll see!

But to the original question, can't miss hunting for football. I love football, but it's hunting, you cant miss hunting. Its the outdoors. Its life. Watching TV, no matter what it is, is watching other people live while you sit and watch. AND, thats what DVRs are for. Cant DVR a hunt. When you miss a football game, so what. You still the see score, and in the end, that's the only part that matters. But if you miss a hunt, you miss an experience that can't be replaced, no matter did, didnt, or could have happened.

scotman

Postby scotman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Pretty funny Steve I feel about the same way. I used to play in highschool but have not watched a game since the Bills lost how many super bowls in a row? 
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features